ad: elecraft

60 Meter FCC NPRM — HamRadioNow

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Oct 9, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. VE7NGK

VE7NGK Ham Member QRZ Page

And that there is why we lost 2 generations of possible ham operators. Change is a bad thing in the old guard's eyes. That would be like me saying life's too short for CW. We all know it's true, but why ruin other folk's enjoyment?

KY1K, TA1TRJ and KR3DX like this.
  2. AD4ZU

AD4ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

Let sleeping dogs lie. The current format of 60m is a good one.

W4EO likes this.
  3. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep- Give it a try... Been using 60 since it opened for the US in mid- 2003.. Started with cw on "ch.1" and then JT65A & Olivia on ch.3(5357.5KHz) .. Now occasionally grab Qs on ch.3 ft8, and phone on either 5371.5 or 5403.5 here on the W.Coast..73, n6spp-cm98

KQ1V likes this.
  4. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I would like to see that letter from the ARRL, that you speak of, those are the kind of comments we could probably expect out of them!

Anyway we can now just lay back and see what the FCC does, the official comment to the FCC is over at this point.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2023
  5. N3AZB

N3AZB Ham Member QRZ Page

Delete this

6. N3AZB

No, this is the last day. You can still post a comment until end of this day.

K0UO likes this.
  7. K0UO

Time is up, if they have not commented by now, they are not going to.............But they will keep griping on QRZ no matter what!

8. K1IO

K1IO Ham Member QRZ Page

No , today the 30th is the last day:
    Interested parties may file comments on or before October 30, 2023; and reply comments on or before November 28, 2023. All filings must refer to ET Docket No. 23-120.​
    And as a general rule the lawyers and pros generally file their comments on the last day. Over 2000 hams have already weighted in, though, which is impressive. We'll see the official total tomorrow when the last of today's is posted. Then reply comments are welcomed for four weeks.

I'm not sure there's much to say in reply comments. The preponderance of ham comments called for keeping the 100W ERP limit. I'm one of the few who didn't. ;) Not that I supported 15 watts either; I just proposed setting a transmitter power output limit, instead of an ERP or EIRP limit, because with antennas mostly within half a wavelength of the ground, actual gain is unpredictable. And I proposed that the limit be 40 watts for digital modes and 80 PEP for SSB, because of the old peak to average business, and since they said EIRP, a dipole takes 80 watts past 100 EIRP if it is in free space. But then I write verbose comments, in the formal (PDF) style. My pending Network Neutrality filing is over 50 pages...

K0UO likes this.
  9. K0UO

We're both wrong!
    They extended it to November 28th
    That means it'll take them another year to act on it.... ..HI

N3AZB likes this.
  10. N3AZB

Source: https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...rld-radio-communication-conference-correction

SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION:
    Correction

In the Federal Register of September 29, 2023, in FR Doc. 2023–19383, on page 67160, in the third column, correct the DATES caption to read:

DATES: Interested parties may file comments on or before November 28, 2023; and reply comments on or before December 28, 2023. All filings must refer to ET Docket No. 23–120.

They posted that on Friday October 27th. Some of us don't read the Federal Register daily.

Procrastinators rejoice. You can put it off for another month.

K0UO likes this.
  11. KB2HSH

KB2HSH Ham Member QRZ Page

60 meters is an excellent band at night. There are plenty of stations to work...and despite the fact that 60 can't be used for awards, there's a great deal of DX to be found.

Even if the band was restricted to 9 watts, that's typically all I use...and have never been at a lack of QSOs

12. KY8D

KY8D Subscriber QRZ Page

I am extremely fond of 60 meters. I have more QSOs on 60m than I have on any band above 30m. I even have logged one QSO, USA to Netherlands on split channels on 60m. I could not have done that with a measly 9W. Not a proper QSO, I couldn't. And by a proper QSO, I do not mean a hit-and-run, TU plus lying-599 RST. A real conversation. A right proper chat. Like in the old days, using my ears and an actual key. Not like how so many do now, cheating with CW readers and push-button memory replies.

My most memorable QSO to date was late one night on 60m, an hour-long CW chat consoling a just-met op who had recently lost his wife of many years.

Further, 60m is the only HF band where I can pick a channel to listen while not sitting at the desk with my hand on the VFO knob.

The 60m band is perfect just as it is.

W4EO likes this.
  13. KL7OF

KL7OF Ham Member QRZ Page

why not 100khz and 100 watts??

14. N3AZB

This is it. This is the last day to post a comment. I checked the Federal Register and the haven't announced another extension.
    Now there is 30 more days to December 28 for replies to the comments.

Then we can wait for the Report and Order.

If WT Docket No. 16-239 is any guide, where the comment period ended November 14, 2016, and the order was announced October 25, 2023, seven years later, (but still not published in the Federal Register,) we can expect the Order, oh, say about December of 2030?

15. K0NXM

K0NXM Ham Member QRZ Page

Comment submitted, suggesting de-channelization, power levels to remain at 100W ERP or higher, and granting primary allocation based on current primary users non-use.