ad: Radclub22-1

4 reasons why we need more digital voice modes (not fewer)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4RYP, Sep 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K4DL

K4DL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I realize this thread has not had any comments for over a month but I have been pondering the "Digital" future for myself lately. My issues with D-star is that it requires a repeater to be dedicated solely to that mode. We need to move away from single mode repeaters toward more options like we have in simplex mode.

I also am against any mode that requires the purchase of a proprietary product. For me, if any part of the process, hardware or software, demands the purchase of a product from only one source or license from one source then we have become a for profit operation and are no longer in the Amateur arena.

I can download free software or purchase software to operate many digital modes today. This is the way it should be on all the bands. D-star is a business and not Amateur radio in my opinion. I am not aware of the working of System Fusion so I cannot comment on it yet. Personally if I cannot decode your transmission without having to pay someone for that privilege you have violated the FCC rules.

2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

My take on this is that no matter how you want to pussy-foot and Texas Two-Step around the issue, proprietary digital modes are ENCRYPTION, which the FCC rules specifically prohibit, not to mention it being anathema to the spirit of amateur radio.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.