ad: CQMM-1

25 Aprile 1874 : Born Guglielmo Marconi the Father of the radio !

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by IW2BSF, Apr 24, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Karl,

I disagree on 'invented' . Inventors take high offense when the word 'invented ' is separated from the granting of patents--WHEN the INVENTORS USED THE PATENT SYSTEM, as they all did here.

Patents are granted for novelty, and are rejected based upon prior art. Obviously there was no prior art impeding Tesla's patents--but then again, they do not 'claim' radio as we know it.

As I mentioned twice, a throrough review of Tesla's wireless patents shows the claim wording was 'invented' to secure inventions that were useless as described.

Chip W1YW

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

That's not how Marconi saw himself. He was actually not a pursuasive entrepreneur, but locked into people who could help him beyond his deficiencies. Marconi was a Mama's boy-nerd who wanted to make the magic box. And he did.

And he spent all his life looking for mothering...and got it. IMO.

Chip W1YW

3. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

...... its a joke see the "famous" Tesla Watch , hi :)

tesl.jpg

4. KK4VRE

KK4VRE Ham Member QRZ Page

Whatever your thoughts on this matter, the design of circuits required for 'wireless' (4) were invented by Tesla. Marconi used those elements to FURTHER the state of 'wireless' (if you want to call a spark-gap emitter 'radio') to a practical . Finally, the US patent office OVERTURNED Marconi's patents in favor of Tesla. This is NOT to say that Marconi was not a great man, and he did indeed make huge strides in the advancement of 'radio' as a new medium.
    Actually, I agree. Very few would challenge that Tesla was an extremely odd man and was indeed a social misfit.

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. Tesla designed the basic elements of what became 'radio'. But did not seek patents on them, essentially throwing them into the public domain.. Dang lawyers:)!

They didn't "overturn...in favor of Tesla":) What they said was that Teslas DESCRIPTIONS in the specifications of his patents taught prior art to Marconi. But the USPTO did not award patents to Tesla for them. Essentially Tesla invented new art, described it, BUT did not claim it, and did not get the patents on it.

BUT by describing the elements of the devices, he prevented others from getting patents, or in this case, having those other patents eventually overturned.

We agree:)

6. VU2RKU

VU2RKU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey how many of you are on Electrical A?

7. IK5QLO

IK5QLO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Chip, sorry I can't express fluently in english, but what you say here was true but only in the beginning. Later when he went to England using his mother's influences
    became a smart and mercyless manager of his own achievements patenting ad fighthing for patents. He still was a nerdy guy but a business minded one kinda Edison.
    73! Andrea IK5QLO

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Fair enough.

I may have understated my admiration for Marconi. We basically agree.

Chip W1YW

9. W2ASX

W2ASX Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish I could "Like" this comment 100 times.

10. W2ASX

W2ASX Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought all of this was common knowledge by now.

11. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

..... the FIRST father of the radio is MARCONI ! 73 :)

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Except Tesla thought it was essentially 'modulated lightning', not RF.

13. 9A7DA

9A7DA Ham Member QRZ Page

"Morgan Freeman also say "

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I am disappointed that, despite the original source quoting to debunk the Tesla 'radio' myth, we continue to view Tesla through a 'belief system'.

This picture, a double exposure with Tesla reading Goethe, shows the enablement of Tesla ' wire-less' --not 'RF wireless' system.

Here, you can clearly see a wire-less transmission between two points using the 'conduction through the earth and air strata'. Ground closed the conductive loop. This is not wireless RF.

Tesla patented a system that would modulate this and control the Q, assuming it would work over vast distances. It never, ever did. And doesn't.

Tesla invented a system that used artificial lightning to do wire-less point A to point B.

I am a great Tesla admirer, but he did not invent radio.

Chip W1YW

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

After reviewing Tesla's file wrappers, it is very clear that Tesla was well aware of the limitations of his 'artificial lightning wireless' system.

In order to extend the range, Wardenclyffe was designed to have far higher power, and work at much lower frequencies, including so-called 'earth resonances' at ELF. At those very long wavelengths, the nearfield is extremely far away so the losses from distances fall as 1/R rather than 1/R^2 , over hundreds of miles. The fact that Tesla REQUIRED relay stations--copies of Wardenclyffe-- is key to understanding that he knew there were inherent distance limitations.

Does someone actually think we should communicate info and power using artificial, tuned, lightning??

Tesla did.

Chip W1YW