ad: elecraft

2016 Field Day from sailboat: mobile

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by WB2HLM, Jun 24, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. WB2HLM

WB2HLM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

IMG_0101.jpg

5 watts with a FT817, should be fun, first time mobile. 20 M dipole, 40 M dipole with open wire feeders, 15 M hamstick, tuned multi band vertical.
    73 WB2HLM
    http://wb2hlm.wix.com/mypage

W9AFB likes this.
  2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

totally excellent!!

won't expect to hear you from the Left Coast.

Best DX!!

you are right to run dipoles over fresh water; verticals get no enhancement over fresh water.

3. KA7RRA

KA7RRA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Take me with you

4. KE0GTU

KE0GTU Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool, how did it work out over the weekend? I have a Macgregor 25 as well, I'm planning on operating /MM for the first time next week.

5. WB2HLM

WB2HLM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Dipoles are the best way to go. The 40 M fed with tuned feeders had the best signal on 40, 20, 15. The 20 M dipole fed with coax worked better at night for some reason. The location, an Upstate NY lake shielded on three sides by close-in mountains really put me in a "radio hole." I still managed 25 FD contacts and lots of neat QSO's before FD.

I love my MacGregor 25; perfect for lake sailing: swing keel, pop-top, great sail area, room for new sailors and still fun for old timers like me make it a great lake boat.

For antennas while mobile I'd still go with the coax dipole; no grounding problems. In salt water, a copper plate, trailing copper wire, etc. all work well and I have used them for blue water sailing, but in fresh water, getting good grounding is a problem. While fixed, I'd go with a longer center fed, open wire line dipole system to have more versatility. I hauled mine up on the main halyard and stood it off from the mast by hanging it from a 18" piece of PVC pipe. The other end held up the 20 M dipole.

There is an inexpensive grounding system that I haven't tried, but have heard get good reports about: the KISS-SSB system. Gordon West has a good article on salt water grounding too. I ran a 26 foot long old piece of RG-8 around the perimeter of the boat to act as a ground for the two vertical ham-stacks I tried. I also tied the ground lug of my antenna tuner to this "ground." It did not improve my signals at all and the dipoles outperformed the ham-stick verticals day and night.

I will keep a mount on the stern rail for the ham-sticks but I think a dipole arrangement of them off the stern would be a better "mobile" antenna. Keep me posted on your MacGregor travels and also look at the MacGregor Owners Forum. 73, Bill WB2HLM.