ad: portazero-1

20 Meters Wiped Out Tonight Centered on 14.375

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by N0UN, Jan 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N0UN

N0UN Ham Member QRZ Page

Anybody know what it is wiping out 20 Meters as I speak? The broadcast started at 0500Z.

The AM broadcast is centered on 14.375 with huge hash spurs up and down every 50KC with smaller hash spurs in between. I attached a link to a recording I just took below.

I have no idea what it is, but it is peaking for me at 120 degrees from Colorado. And a huge peak it is at 40db over 9. A gal keeps reciting numbers in Spanish every minute or so.

Link to unknown broadcast transmission

Thoughts? What, where, why? :confused:

Wayne, N0UN

2. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

At 120 degrees from your QTH in Colorado, would that put it in line to say ... the Island of Cuba? (or what other country?)

Jim WB5WPA

3. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey Wayne, what are you using to receive? Did you try turning the pre-amp off? Did you turn the attenuator on? Was the noise blanker enabled? Does your unit have the capability to turn the AGC off and resort to using the RF gain?
    As for what station it is, they failed to give their call sign and QSL directions. It's apparently a numbers station. Usually they use CW but in this case it's voice. The numbers are sent in groups of five. Those that are spies receive the numbers and carefully write them down. They than decode the message and carry out the instructions.
    Hope this helps
    Gary

4. N0UN

N0UN Ham Member QRZ Page

FT-1000MP MK V. The broadcast stopped dead at 0655Z. It was such a powerful signal, it had intermod spurs every 50 kc away from the main carrier and hash in-between. It ran down into 13 MHz and up to 15 MHz plus with the 50 kc spurs becoming lighter the farther away from the main frequency of 14.375. I suspect hundreds of kilowatts, minimum. I had another Ham friend triangulate and it was inline with Miami, Cuba, etc.

Unbelievable signal strength all the way across 14 MHz. I followed the spurs up to 14.375. You could tell it was a "propagated" signal as you could see the signal strength ebb and flow.

I'm on top of a hill at 6,620' ASL with great drop-offs and I hear a lot of things, but in 40 years of being a Ham, I've never heard anything like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.