ad: CQMM-1

$20,000 Dream Station Prize at Hamvention 2022

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Apr 27, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KI5HNX

KI5HNX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Seriously??!!!

KF4ZKU, W8NDB and MM0XXW like this.
  2. KI5HNX

KI5HNX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No doubt! Some people would complain that the $100 bill they found on the sidewalk was wrinkled and stained.

W0FS, DM2TT, KF4ZKU and 1 other person like this.
  3. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I would have to decline the whole deal. You will certainly be issued a W2-G tax form for a prize of that amount. You would then have to claim that $20,000 as taxable income and owe all Federal, State Medicare and Social Security tax. You have to be able to pay to play as there is no free lunch.

4. AA0ZX

AA0ZX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For sure. You're probably looking at $5-$6k in taxes for that.

I guess two ways to look at it. One is getting $20k worth of stuff for $5k. Another way is to just look through and find $5k worth of kit to sell (Especially in this market where used components are going for very near new prices). Keep the rest. Heck, looking at that list I'd probably sell everything but the transceiver and maybe a mic.

I still think it would be a pretty sweet thing to win. It's just like exotic car raffles. Sell the exotic car, pay the taxes, then buy a slightly less exotic car and you're free and clear in something that's still really cool and still free.

K7IWW and W0FS like this.
  5. K4FMH

K4FMH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

With ticket sales lagging behind what was expected...folks on the street say...this must be a sweetner. Hmm....Eric's virtual thing must be shaking some trees!

Oh well, I won't make Hamvention this year so best wishes to the luck winner. Get your tax advisor in tow quickly, lol

W4QBQ likes this.
  6. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

If you can afford to pay to play you certainly end up ahead. But for those on a fixed income or someone that $5-6K would wipe out their checking and/or savings it suddenly becomes a huge unexpected burden that many do not know/think about.

KG7FIU and K3SX like this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

What folks are you talking about? Just yourself?

The prize package has been pulled together long before the latest ticket projection data.

There is a very good reason people are slow on buying tickets--- you can't project whether there will be an upturn on COVID, and most think its best to wait and see.

The virtual hamfest had no impact whatsoever on my decision. I want to go places and see people.

Well, its clear that there is no COVID upturn, apparently, forthcoming, and people ARE buying tickets, NOW.

I got my second booster last week, ordered my tickets and booked the hotel and plane. This will be my first airline flight since Feb 2020....

BTW most Dayton flights are now booked. Columbus is a viable alternative.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
    WA8FOZ and W4MAL like this.
  8. AA0ZX

For sure. As far as the unexpected, I hope folks would be aware of it or at least informed. As for the fixed income (I've never liked that term, some folks are 'fixed' pretty well. Having a 'fixed income' means nothing. $10,000 a year on social security is a 'fixed income'. So is a $2,500,000 CEO pension when they retire.); you won't owe it until tax time. So you've got the better part of a year to sell some of that gear to come up with the tax money.

In fact, you won't get the W-2G likely until the next year. When the benefactor does all of their W-2's and 1099's for the year for their employees and contractors, that's when they'll fill out and send you that form. Which, to your point; would be unexpected if it shows up in the mail and you had no idea it was coming. But I would assume most people would understand that that is taxable and at some point they will collect information from you like your SSN or TIN in order to issue that form in January. So at some point, the winner will be informed of the tax and can prepare.

You're right that it's a burden and a PITA but, IMHO, it's a pretty solvable problem.

I actually had a teacher in High School who won a Porsche 911 Turbo in a car show raffle, brand new. MSRP of somewhere around $50,000 (at the time). He sold it to another guy AT the car show right then and there for something like $40,000. Not only did he get to deduct the depreciation but he had enough to cover the tax bill, buy a new Mustang GT, and put some cash in the bank. Because he certainly didn't have the cash to cover the tax bill on the Porsche.

KE7WNB, W4QBQ, W1RU and 2 others like this.
  9. AA0ZX

Exactly.

For the last two years, any in-person event of any sort has struggled to sell advance tickets; with folks waiting until right before to commit. Exactly as you said; concerns about COVID, potential restrictions, and potential cancellations.

W1YW likes this.
  10. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the intelligent conversation. It was nice not getting accused of pooping in the punchbowl for talking about reality. At least not yet....:D

KE7WNB likes this.
  11. W4MAL

W4MAL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

12. KK7BRP

KK7BRP Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice I am looking for a HF radio for CW! I am learning it!

KQ1V, KK9W, MM0XXW and 1 other person like this.
  13. K3SX

K3SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good luck! There are many programs and groups and on air code practice sessions for you to learn from. 73 Sid K3SX

14. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, don't put your ticket in the barrel. Or better yet...I'll let you borrow my stamp so you don't face the danger of winning <gulp> a 7851... :D:rolleyes:

VY1RW likes this.
  15. MM0JNL

MM0JNL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Gotta say, that list IS my dream shack IC-7851 AND IC-9700... YES PLEASE!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.