ad: wmr-1

100 Watts and a Wire: Episode 83

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K0STH, Jan 31, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W3WTD/SK2023

W3WTD/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

48 years! I was first licensed as a novice (WN3WTD) in 1953, and was on the air almost continuously until October 1968, when I took a new job and started raising a family. Got re-hooked by a visit to a Field Day site last July, and got my ticket and my old call back (W3WTD) later that summer, and became active again on HF in October -- almost exactly 48 years after my last previous QSO.

AB3MO, K9PLG and K0STH like this.
  2. N5TZH

N5TZH Ham Member QRZ Page

off the air for 5 yrs when they done away with cw to get ticket

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Know how you feel: when I came back up again in 2010, I was so disgusted with the shenanigans on fone that I slowly went almost entirely CW....

4. LW8DRU

LW8DRU Ham Member QRZ Page

14 years off the air.
    8/13/95 thru 5/9/02 ON AIR
    5/10/02 thru 9/4/16 OFF AIR
    Now I'm back!
    73s!!

K0STH likes this.
  5. K2JX

K2JX Ham Member QRZ Page

It's 44 years since I was licensed, in that time I've been on and off the air, job, home, illnesses, marriage you know the deal. I am retired now 7 years on and spend my most of my time when in my shack-shop fixing or restoring vintage AM-BC-SW receivers. I worked in law Enforcement radio communications for 25 years, I maintain our Club's Packet and repeater gear, and I have other interests that keep me away from actually operating on the air. I do listen in though, sadly the bands aren't the best as we enter the bottom of the current cycle. One thing I don't understand is, why is it that calling CQ seems to have all but disappeared ? de K2JX

K0STH likes this.
  6. WA3DOG

WA3DOG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

15 years. Took a direct lightning strike and burnt the shack down totally. But back n and realy enjoying it. Just wish the bands were better.

K0STH likes this.
  7. K8SQS

K8SQS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been continually licensed since February 1960. However, I was off the air for 34 YEARS (1981 - 2015). I reacquired my original call (K8SQS) when I returned to the air. From 1973 to 2015 I was W0PAI (lived in Colorado from 1973 to 1995).

K0STH likes this.
  8. K8BPZ

K8BPZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Last HF contact was in spring of 1995 then was off-the-air from HF until this last August (2016). This was due to working on a Ph.D. and teaching public school and colleges. I was off air from VHF when my Icom O2AT died for some reason in the spring of 1993 until summer of 2002 when I had saved enough to purchase a vhf hand-held transceiver and it arrived.

K0STH likes this.
  9. K4HPP

K4HPP Ham Member QRZ Page

Licensed in May 1959 and fully active ever since - even through work, raising kids, etc. Only off for 4 weeks going to US navy boot camp in 1966. They wouldn't even let us listen to am/fm radio!
    73 - K4HPP

K0STH likes this.
  10. WJ1MK

WJ1MK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

16 years ...but...I'm Back!!!!

K0STH likes this.
  11. KG7PJD

KG7PJD Ham Member QRZ Page

back on the air after 40 yrs

K0STH likes this.
  12. VA7UO

VA7UO Ham Member QRZ Page

Licensed in 78' and had a hiatus for 12 years from 95 to 2007.
    Now, 99% of my activity is on satellites and microwave.

Glenn, VE6ND

K0STH likes this.
  13. WA8WNK

WA8WNK Ham Member QRZ Page

Licensed first in 1961 and on-air all over world with USAF. Operated until father, WB8ORE, became silent key in 2001. Just got back on HF when given a HF Alinco 8T Radio for Xmas 2016. Was on VHF/UHF once in a while only from 2012 to date.

K0STH likes this.
  14. KC2QQR

KC2QQR Ham Member QRZ Page

Got my license back in '07, was really never really "off the air", but had some issues that I couldn't be on the radio as much as I wanted to... I'm on a little more now, but it varies... especially if it is summertime... got a lot more to be doing than being "on the air"... All depends on my mood too. Most of the time I got the scanner going on the VHF/UHF freqs and sitting back listening... not sure if that counts as "on the air" or not. If it does count being "on the air" then I've never been "off the air", because I've got at least 3 scanners running in the house, and got mobiles in all my vehicles turned on when I'm driving.

I'm the type that mostly just sits back and listens, builds antennas, and works on equipment. Don't really have much $$ invested in equipment, but a lot of time and research invested in the hobby. Likewise, I found out a long time ago I don't need to dump $5k into a HF rig, $5k for an amplifier, and $5k for a tower to have fun... my well-used 10 year old shack-in-a-box 857D, with a well-tuned wire antenna hung between to trees gets me across the world and back. Cannot get no more satisfaction than that!!

Yes -- to me it's just a hobby... just as I build Nitro R/C trucks/cars, woodworking, and working on cars/trucks gets me a lot of satisfaction and makes the time pass.

It's all up to the beholder. :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  15. KM4HSG

KM4HSG Ham Member QRZ Page

It Is Hard for me to stay off the air. I was licensed Age 10 and now I am 12. My longest Slouch has been maybe a week to two weeks? My record log says 1 week and a half. Generally, this is because of things more important than ham radio ( school, Chores, etc ) or my batteries are dead.