ad: Mountaingoat-1

1 Watt SSB POTA with the N9SAB OCFD antenna

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N2MAK, Sep 1, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K1CWB

K1CWB Ham Member QRZ Page

Well done Mike, I enjoyed your video. I always get a kick out of working you and other activators with low power. Occasionally I'll run 1 watt and it's pretty cool when someone comes back to your call.

KQ1V and N2MAK like this.
  2. N2MAK

N2MAK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for checking it out! There is something regarding about making a contact at lower power or with some other challenge involved.

K1CWB likes this.
  3. NI0F

NI0F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I love the 'net' comment, amen!

N2MAK likes this.
  4. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for showing the station/antenna setup.

Looks like you had a fun outing.

N2MAK likes this.
  5. SQ1FYY

SQ1FYY Ham Member QRZ Page

Great job with 1 watt !
    Nice video report , tnx 73 from Poland de SQ1FYY - Slawo.

N2MAK likes this.
  6. N2MAK

Thanks for watching! It was a lot of fun and I am glad you liked it.

SQ1FYY likes this.
  7. KG5JPG

KG5JPG Ham Member QRZ Page

still think the credit should rightly go the folks that have an antenna capable of RECEIVING these qrp calls...just saying!

K2HAT and N2MAK like this.
  8. N2MAK

I know when I operate portable, whether it's QRP or some other compromised setup, that it's likely the station on the other end (DX or not) is doing a lot of the heavy lifting. Conditions are important too though. Still, the OCFD and linked dipole that I have used in my two 1-Watt POTAs both work pretty well, regardless of power.

9. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

I agree, my antenna setup here; with my high background noise floor makes it very difficult to be able to receive.

Grateful to be able to get on the air here at all.

image.jpg

Last edited: Sep 24, 2023
  10. OK7SE

OK7SE Ham Member QRZ Page

Once I did 300mW CW into a randomwire. Made 11 contacts in 15 minutes. Would be fair enough for POTA, but for OK WWFF, I needed 44 QSOs... I had set up the radio that way before for some testing and then forgot to change it... :)

Sure thing... But that's why I like S2S or QRP-to-QRP QSOs the most. Once, I heard a guy on Antarctica, very weak CW, such as 229, no chance that he'd hear me back... But I tried and it worked... I had a 100W into a wire. He e-mailed me a photo of his station -- the same radio, 100W and a wire. Amazing contact... And so far, another great contact happened to me... A VK SOTA activator, also just a wire and 100W radio. Not sure what he had, but on SOTA, probably nothing fancy... And, as said, contacts like this I enjoy the most.

K1CWB and N2MAK like this.
  11. W2CSI

W2CSI Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video! I checked into a 20 meter QRP net last week with 5W & several of the station reduced power to less than 1W after the NCS checked them into the net.
    I also checked into the 3905CCN 40 meter net last week with 5W and worked several stations. It can be a lot of fun to see where to can talk too with only 5W.

N2MAK likes this.
  12. N2MAK

That's awesome! The QRP SSB Net on Sundays is great. I can't always do it, but try to when I can. It's fun to test out different antennas and see how low you can go. It's also helpful in learning about propagation.

13. K1CWB

K1CWB Ham Member QRZ Page

I can agree if someone is running just a couple of watts into a shortened loaded antenna of some sort not far off the ground, then yes the other op gets much of the credit. But I've found 5 watts into good antenna at the proper height can often be hard to differentiate from a 100 watt station. I never sign QRP, and many ops I worked were never even aware I was running low power.

AE8EM likes this.
  14. VK4KX

VK4KX Ham Member QRZ Page

If conditions are good enough you can work even with milliwatts.
    I worked JG1SMD on 6m SSB who was using a Home brew radio and 500 milliwatts with an HB9CV antenna from his balcony in Northern Japan, he was so happy to work VK and I was surprised when he told me his set up and power.

N2MAK likes this.
  15. N2MAK

That's awesome!