ad: Mountaingoat-1

MFJ closing down manufacturing facilities effective May 17th 2024

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Apr 25, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Regarding the aforementioned points, I had access to certain data, which was the basis of my information. Unfortunately, QRZ Police removed this data, citing political reasons, although my discussion did not involve any political figures or agendas, merely statistics.

It's disheartening to see our social media and other platforms exhibiting tendencies reminiscent of my time in Russia. Having lived in 70 countries over the past 44 years, I've observed similar patterns in the United States that echo the decline I witnessed in the former Soviet Union. However, I digress.

On a personal note, owning six international businesses has provided me with unique insights. Out of these, three succeeded, and, frankly, their success was largely due to fortunate timing. So, with MFJ, I am sure there were a host of reasons why they shut down, which we may not be privileged to know.

73's, Tom (DE NN2X)

W3AMT, YL3IM, K0DUC and 2 others like this.
  2. K4BDA

K4BDA Ham Member QRZ Page

Why has no one stepped up to buy MFJ? Certainly the company assets have value. The customer database, product documentation, remaining components, with or without the remaining inventory should be a good investment at some reasonable price. What is going on here? Makes no sense.
    K4BDA

N2OTG and K0UO like this.
  3. K3EY

K3EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Funny, I just ordered a 949F tuner. HRO had several in several stores, yesterday, today they are gone, including every vendor who carried them.

4. KY4ID

KY4ID XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe. But not enough to sustain the hobby.

5. NQ4T

NQ4T Ham Member QRZ Page

MFJ was not the best stuff on the market...it was the budget-brand that was like a well-kept secret to someone who knew how to fix stuff. "If you treat it like an unknown poorly assembled kit you'll be fine".

That being said...who is going to take their place? It's not just MFJ that goes away here...so many people I known have Ameritron amps. We know the resale prices are going to jump now since "they don't make 'em anymore"

I don't think we'll see anyone fill those gaps.

KC8VWM likes this.
  6. KC4ZGP

KC4ZGP Ham Member QRZ Page

MFJ produced nothing an amateur radio guy or gal couldn't make themselves.

If folks are concerned why no buys MFJ why don't y'all get together and buy MFJ.

Besides, what is one buying? A kit assembling operation.

Kraus/KC4ZGP

WA5VGO likes this.
  7. KY4ID

KY4ID XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That might be ok for those of us who grew up before the Internet, but it will be a serious detractor for newer generations window shopping the hobby.

8. KG5JJ

KG5JJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sadly, this is the state of most industrialized nations across the planet, and if you don't know why, I suggest you get on board, and quickly.

We haven't seen the 'trough' of global economic and financial disaster yet and won't for a bit, but all indicators are there if you have been paying attention for the last eight years or so.

Anyone with a modicum of intellect and who possesses independent thought, deductive reasoning, and critical thinking has figured out the global Armageddon staring us in the face, and it won't be pretty.

I wish there was a way to wake up the masses. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

Pointing fingers is a fool's errand as it will not change the outcome.

If humanity is to survive, we have to work together.

NC5E, K5TS, KR3DX and 1 other person like this.
  9. KC4ZGP

So there is no paper magazine? Wow! Didn't know that.

Haven't been a member since 1993 anyhow. A picture of Larry Price turned me off.

Kraus/KC4ZGP

10. PY1KZ

PY1KZ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I am very saddened by this news. The end of an era.
    Miguel - PY1KZ

11. KC3JH

KC3JH Ham Member QRZ Page

As of right now, the mailed paper version of QST is still available, according to the ARRL:

https://www.arrl.org/2024-dues-rates

How long it might last is anyone's guess.

73 Frank KC3JH

12. WM5L

WM5L XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Love em or hate em they gobbled up a lot of name brands just to go out of business. sorta stings IMO. Hopefully somebody will pick up the good lines of stuff like Ameritron, Cushcraft and Hy Gain. Who knows everything we buy now comes for Damn China anyway.

13. KT4QD

KT4QD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

To the extent Ameritrons are owned by those who understand and can service their own amps you may be right.
    But we did not see this with Ten-Tec. The opposite occurred.

14. KC4ZGP

They can learn.

Kraus/KC4ZGP

WB1GCM likes this.
  15. W9AWX

W9AWX Ham Member QRZ Page

I feel sorry for the employees who will be out of work soon.

YL3IM and KB8SKK like this.