ad: Radclub22-1

MFJ closing down manufacturing facilities effective May 17th 2024

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Apr 25, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N4MCC

N4MCC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I hate to see them go. They do supply some items that you just can't get anywhere else. This will be like when Radio Shack closed.

KB5IAV and WA4KFZ like this.
  2. WA4KFZ

WA4KFZ Ham Member QRZ Page

You may see two or three former employees carry on a line of products (essentially buy the brand name) and try to make a go of it. I remember owning speakers made by a company that eventually went out of business. One of the last remaining employees bought the tooling to carry on with repairs and replacement parts.

3. WA4KFZ

??? Not sure I understand your point.

KF7PCL and AE0Q like this.
  4. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe so, but I felt I would pass this along...It is very scary now in the USA, and willing to bet there is a deep recession coming soon. And I think sales might have been low at MFJ as well.

And above is very true, you can Google all what i stated..I keep a very close eye on this, as it effects my work

DE NN2X / Tom

KR3DX likes this.
  5. WA4KFZ

They probably made arrangements with the warranty repair staff to get paid during the close out process. They only offer one year warranties anyway.

6. K3EY

K3EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Because you're normal:)

KF7PCL likes this.
  7. N3HOE

N3HOE Ham Member QRZ Page

I had met Martin about 20 years ago at the Orlando HamCation. He was standing in front of his booth, and amazingly there was no crowd around him at that moment. I was immediately struck by how humble, quiet, and unassuming he was. Enjoy your retirement, Martin!!
    -de Alan N3HOE
    Melbourne, Florida USA

KF7PCL, WD4IGX, N6RLS and 4 others like this.
  8. KC2LEB

KC2LEB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No wonder why the ARRL stopped the print version of QST, No more catalog revenue.

AI5DD, KV5J, WD4IGX and 4 others like this.
  9. E73M

E73M Ham Member QRZ Page

I found all you wrote pretty irrelevant, who cares how many restaurants or stores are closed or who is the president?

The US economy is changing and MFJ failed to change in time. DXE is an example of how to do good business completely based on e-commerce.
    The Sales in amateur radio are great today.
    I have worked for three years in Cushcraft and left them to start my own business in 1999. I will tell you that my corporation has been doing great for the last 24 years and my antenna side of the business (Myantennas.com) has only one problem, it is how to fulfill all orders. I have complete production of aluminum antennas ready with multiple products but to find the right people to employ is the hardest part. Nobody wants to screw screws for $15/hour here in Florida.

N4XRD, PD0WIL, K7FD and 3 others like this.
  10. AA5LT

AA5LT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have always heard the negative comments about MFJ. I have a lot of there products.
    Love them. Never had a bad product. Maybe i am lucky. Use tuner (998) Amp (ALS1300) everyday.
    And I don't baby them.
    Maybe you have heard me.

11. KN4USA

KN4USA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So who is going to buy his brands and keep some American made stuff around or who will fill the gap?

12. KN4USA

KN4USA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You are building speciaty products not cooking Fries. Pay a fair wage for specialty help and you will get the help you need.

KF7PCL, W2JDB and AC1HH like this.
  13. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The issue has increasingly impacted the amateur radio community, particularly in the context of the current economic climate in the USA.

Over the past four years, there has been a noticeable erosion of disposable income among the middle class. On average, households are now facing an additional $11,500 in annual expenses, effectively reducing their discretionary spending. This increase in expenses equates to the cost of an Icom 7300 radio each month—a considerable amount for a hobby that is often seen as a luxury.

This financial pressure has not been without consequences for businesses within the industry, such as MFJ Enterprises. The decrease in disposable income has understandably led to reduced spending on non-essential items, including amateur radio equipment.

MFJ was for sale, imagine if the numbers (EBITA) was healthy, I am sure there would had been a buyer.

DE NN2X / Tom

KF7PCL, WB4NQF, KD4PBS and 2 others like this.
  14. KB8SKK

KB8SKK Ham Member QRZ Page

According to the man himself, he was not a big fan of patents.
    Look for a co. to start building some products, IDK
    I do feel DXE could have improved things, like QC.
    Build those amps here in Oh.

K4XJ and KR3DX like this.
  15. WA5VGO

WA5VGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Please take your political commentary to an appropriate web site.

KF0QS, W0ML, KA0LDG and 4 others like this.