ad: GoBoxRadio-1

MFJ closing down manufacturing facilities effective May 17th 2024

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Apr 25, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K3EY

K3EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So what company will hams bitch about now? MFJ supported the ham community more than any other company ever did. I hope the ones blasting MFJ feel better now. Lets see how fast prices go up on everything since MFJ isn’t around for competition.

W3AEM, AI5DD, W4MND and 17 others like this.
  2. KW4H

KW4H QRZ Lifetime Member #572 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The ham community can be rather fickle and vicious at times. I remember when Heathkit was almost universally mocked -- then, when it disappeared, they were greatly missed. MFJ has been called "Mighty Fine Junk" and somewhat unmercifully treated over the years for QA issues -- now, they can't sell their business and will have to close the doors. Why am I not surprised? MFJ, just like Heathkit, will be missed. Eventually. And then folks will shrug their shoulders and wonder why everything has to be purchased from overseas manufacturers.

73 - Steve, KW4H

BD0AH, W2JDB, KA2PTE and 22 others like this.
  3. WA5VGO

WA5VGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe a few guys will actually buy a soldering iron and start doing something for themselves.

WA9WSJ, KD4PBS, SP6GK and 7 others like this.
  4. K7JQ

K7JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Seriously? It's posted by many all over the forum threads on here (Ham radio discussions; Amateur radio news) and eham.net (Amplifiers; Company reviews).

W4ABC, W2ILA and WR3V like this.
  5. KC4ZGP

KC4ZGP Ham Member QRZ Page

That won't happen. Many extra class holders cannot solder,

Kraus/KC4ZGP

K4XJ, W6PUG, N8DC and 9 others like this.
  6. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, even if someone did, it would not remain the same. It would take a lot of investment, maybe a million from what I've heard, to bring the company into the modern age. New test equipment, production equipment, training, etc., etc., etc. And I would guess they would not want to stay in Mississippi with it. Finally, I don't think anybody in their right mind would continue MFJ's insanely huge line of products--everything from linear amplifiers to beacon receivers. Oh, I loved that old catalog chock-full of gadgets, but it is not practical, just not practical.

Even if someone buys the name and assets and continues "MFJ," MFJ is gone forever. Just like Radio Shack.

WW1V, N4NXD, WN1C and 1 other person like this.
  7. KC4ZPB

KC4ZPB Ham Member QRZ Page

MFJ made equipment for a very special market run by people that liked their jobs and understood one was not going to make big bucks and sell out for a lot of money. He had to understand his business and his customers and let sales take care of themselves. Today the companies buying other companies are mostly from private equity and only looking to make a lot of money in a short time. That won't work with a company like MFJ. 52 years of operation prove the MFJ business model worked well. Very few companies operate anywhere near 52 years. MFJ will be missed and am sad for the employees of the company. Those able to retire I am very happy for. Get out and enjoy life knowing for 52 years MFJ was a very good company that did much for the amateur radio community. Enjoy your retirement. You well deserve it.

Rusty, KC4ZPB

2E0HZH, N0NEV, K8TS and 14 others like this.
  8. W4NNF

They bought a lot of ads. But they aren't the only advertiser by far. And I'm sure the magazine staff has been ready. The handwriting about MFJ having been on the wall for at least a year.

9. W4NNF

And you know that how? Did you consult this?

[​IMG]

K3RW, N3HOE, KQ1V and 1 other person like this.
  10. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Watch the vendor prices go up soon. Just like when the big 3 discontinues a radio. Bound to happen. Supply and demand at its best.

KQ1V likes this.
  11. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

So has the handwriting about the ARRL.

KV5J and KQ1V like this.
  12. KL5IA

KL5IA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]

13. N8XTH

N8XTH Ham Member QRZ Page

I've never understood why people turn down offers to buy businesses at retirement. Sure, you may not be getting what you think it's worth, but, by just retiring and shuttering, you're getting $0.00.

KF7PCL, K9FRO, K4KPD and 8 others like this.
  14. AD0AC

AD0AC Ham Member QRZ Page

Dang. Massive loss for the radio community, especially since they just introduced a new solid state amp that couldn't have been cheap to develop or get through testing. They brought a lot of indispensable gear to the amateur market and kept a lot of people employed in Mississippi when it all could have been outsourced decades ago, like Peavey Electronics did.

N3HOE, KQ1V, WQ1C and 2 others like this.
  15. W4NNF

Yep. The evil old ARRL is DOOMED! The Institute for Amateur Radio is COMING ON STRONG. I read that in "Never Say Die" just the other day, you see. :rolleyes:

N1YR likes this.