ad: AbAuRe-1

ARRL: It's not just the bylaws that need changin'

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KL7SB, Jan 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W5JON

W5JON Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"Every two years the Directors nominate and elect a President, a First Vice President, a Second Vice President, an International Affairs Vice President, a Secretary, a Treasurer, and a Chief Executive Officer as officers who serve on the Board of Directors."

Mr. Gallagher's two year term is up next month, and the BoD would have had to "reelect" him for another term at this meeting. I do not recall an ARRL CEO with only one, two year term, and I have been a ARRL Member for 57 years.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    W2GD likes this.
  2. KL7SB

KL7SB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What part of, "The BOD does *NOT* have the right to disqualify candidates without evident cause" do you not get. Whether or not we agree with what they do, it is *our* choice who sits on that board, not theirs, except in extraordinary circumstances. You really don't see that?

W0FS likes this.
  3. WB6RDV

WB6RDV Ham Member QRZ Page

He just quit effective March 2 so this is kind of moot now. http://www.arrl.org/news/arrl-ceo-tom-gallagher-ny2rf-to-retire

4. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

W0FS likes this.
  5. W5JON

W5JON Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My "point" is perhaps he retired because he realized he was not going to be "reelected" by the BoD, our representatives. It will be interesting to see what happens with the President, whose term also must be "reelected" by the BoD at this meeting.

W0FS likes this.
  6. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hopeless.....never mind.

NL7W and W5JON like this.
  7. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW WHO WILL TAKE HIS PLACE AND YOU ARE ALREADY ON ANOTHER WICH HUNT. YOUR "SEND IN THE CLONES" STATEMENT PROVES IT.

8. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

You mean "witch" hunt or "which" hunt? Certainly not "wich" hunt...!
    Who will it be?

Turn off your caps, dude. It doesn't help your cause.
    Feel randy today?

W0FS likes this.
  9. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

I've liked the recent Star Wars movies myself. :)

10. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Does Regulation by Bandwidth ring a bell? And, at least one other attempt to gain HF spectrum, by the winlink crowd, has been clandestinely forwarded by the League. Because of discussions right here on the Zed, and the written comments to the FCC by individual hams across the Nation, awful ideas were squashed. Were you involved with those discussions in times gone by? You should have been...

As a member, I have communicated with David at the League in years gone by, both vocally and in written form. He was always gracious.

I've been in the comm-electronics and telecommunications business for 37 years. I retired from the federal government, then worked for various three-letter agencies as a technician, an engineer, senior engineer and project manager. I've also worked as a technician, RF and network engineer for civilian corporations, designing all aspects of cellular networks (switching, backhaul and RF) for states and regions. I've designed multiple fiber-optic backbone networks for a regional carrier. Somewhere between all that, I worked as a senior consultant on two of the largest public safety mobile radio projects in the last 10 years.

Presently, I manage a Harris OpenSky radio network for a large upper Midwestern city, where I hope to retire once again. All aspects of radio and telecom are my life -- ever since I became a ham at 15 years of age.

Oh... for many years after the Regulation by Bandwidth fiasco, I stopped being a member of the League. Only recently, did I rejoin. I have hope for better, more inclusive, program management-oriented actions in coming years.

How about you? Have a scrumptious day.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    W0FS, AD2EE, K8BZ and 1 other person like this.
  11. VK4TI

VK4TI Guest

["K4AGO, post: 4524583, member: 720729"] It is no one's business why N6AA was censured except the Board of Directors and N6AA's. Why would it be any of your concern? Why should it be any of your concern? There is no earthly reason that it should be any of your concern. A ham radio license gives you the privilege to operate a radio transceiver on certain frequencies in the electromagnetic spectrum. It does not give you the privilege of knowing someone else's business. If N6AA wanted everyone to know why he was censured, he would publish it. The Board of Directors is NOT overstepping the desires of the majority of the ARRL members. There are only a few, a small minority, who are trying to run the show when they don't have a clue as to what the big picture is. I dare say that if they put you in the pilot's seat, you'd crash and burn." [/QUOTE]

Without transparency and the reasons being exposed the dismissal may well be a construct to quieten honest debate this proved true with other radio organizations resulting in a major beneficial restructure, as a member one has the right to know.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2018
  12. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

W4ABC, K6CLS, W5JON and 1 other person like this.
  13. W4ABC

W4ABC Ham Member QRZ Page

14. K4AGO

I got my Novice license at the age of 14. Went to college and got my JD at Wake Forest and my PHD in Engineering at State. Was a Captain/pilot in the Air Force. Worked as Vice president of Aircraft Maintenance with Piedmont Airlines. Retired when US Air bought us out. After 6 months of boredom I went to work for Continental as a Corporate Lawyer. My specialty was purchasing aircraft. Retired again after another buy out and finally ended up as Operations Officer for the state. I had an Air Transport (jet airliner) flight rating until I could no longer pass the physical exam. Age takes it's toll on us all. I have now retired for the last time.

I have been threatened by one well meaning member of this vigilante committee who was in the public and the private sector(whatever that means). I have been diagnosed as being insane by another member who has an imaginary MD in Psychiatry. And I have been accused of thinking that I am important by yet another philosopher. I wish I were important, I would put an end to this atrocity. I do not think I am important, but I do have a tiny bit of education and and about three times that amount of experience. I know for a fact that it is illegal for the ARRL to disseminate the information that this bunch thinks they are entitled to. Transparency is not legal in the United States. In a round about way it contributes to insider trading. I know, I know, the ARRL is not traded on Wall Street, but, the laws still apply. Most of the guys here don't know that, and you cannot make them understand that. I know they don;t have JD degrees, but anyone with have a grain of common sense should know that. Members of the Boards of Directors go to prison for having loose tongues. It does not take a JD degree to understand that. What this minority of ARRL members should do is just demit from the ARRL and go on about their lives. Instead, they want to destroy decent human beings simply because they don't like the outcome of actions that have been dealt with amicably by the Board of Directors. I am not happy with the Official Observer Program, It's not a crime to be uneducated, but to pretend that you are an authority when you aren't is insane and it is dangerous. These guys are pretending to be an authority in matters that are way over their head. I know for a fact that the ARRL Board of Directors is not guilty of doing anything wrong. I don't THINK I know, I KNOW. That's all I am going to say about that. Take it for what it is worth. I do not always agree with every outcome, but I know that the ARRL has the best intentions regarding ham radio. I find it difficult to believe that an unqualified vigilante committee thinks they have the right, expertise or knowledge to pilot an organization like the ARRL. What is even more difficult to believe is that this group would spread half truths and out and out lies about a distinguished member of the Board of Directors of the ARRL. I don't know what they hope to accomplish, but what they have accomplished is that for no just cause a member of the Board of Directors of the ARRL has resigned. and from the comments I have read here, they are rallying to continue the witch hunt. This is wrong. Someone has to stop this incredible injustice. I realize they think they are right. But the highway to hell is paved with good intentions. Thinking you are right does not make you right. Now, I already know that someone is going to quote that last sentence and try to rub it in my face and tell me that I am wrong and that thinking I am right does not make me right. But as I said before, the ARRL is not guilty of any wrong doing. I know that for a fact. I don't think they are innocent of wrong doing, I know they are innocent of wrong doing. I am aware of facts that not one member of this self proclaimed expert committee is aware of. All this being said, this is my last post in this forum. Write what you want, threaten me, accuse me of being insane, post all the personal attacks you want. I am still a member of the Bar Association in five states, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee and Texas. Maybe I will see you in court some day. If you hear me calling CQ, give me a shout.

W4JHU and N5PZJ like this.
  15. K4AGO

What country do you live in? That is NOT TRUE in the United States of America. Call Donald Trump and tell him that he is an elected official and you have a right to all the facts on everything that goes on in government. You might should learn something about the law my friend. You don't have a right to many things that you think you have a right to.