ad: portazero-1

Unboxing the MFJ-998 - 1500 Watts automatic antenna tuner

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, May 26, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KZ7ZZ

KZ7ZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

A RATHER USELESS NEWS.
    NO IMPORTANT INFO.

THE AUTOMATIC TUNER DOES NOT HAVE THE RANGE OF A MANUAL TUNER.

I USE THE PALSTAR AT2K AND CAN LOAD ANYTHING.

KT5OT and KB8OTK like this.
  2. WB2JIX

WB2JIX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My video will be a "re-boxing and throwing into my pond" video. I have used this tuner for years and it has some inherent quirk(s) that will likely never be figured out. When it works; it's fine. When it doesn't, you have to do a full reset and lose all the memories and start from scratch.
    If I remove this tuner and put in the MFJ-993B, it works flawlessly but for under 300W.
    I prefer my Heath SA-2060.
    The 998 is like an old, finicky tractor in the winter. When you go to get on the air, you say a prayer and hope that it will tune today.
    I bought it used from a previous user that gave up on it. I would never pay the going price for it!
    I call it "PLUG & PRAY" technology!

www.trueladderline.com

KA0KA, SV8RMA, K3SX and 1 other person like this.
  3. WF7A

WF7A XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks, Pascal, for taking the time to create your vid and for posting it here.

(Some of you guys could use a lesson in social graces.)

VA2PV, W2CPD, W7LDG and 3 others like this.
  4. WB2JIX

WB2JIX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Social Graces and Ham shouldn't be used in the same context. ;-)

KM2K, KA0KA and VK6APZ/SK2022 like this.
  5. AD4IE

AD4IE Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had my 998 for several years and it has proven to be an excellent piece of equipment for me. I am using it with my IC-746PRO into an 800 watt Ameritron AL- 811H amp. It does a fine job of tuning my home made 80/40 meter dipole; just hit the Tune button on the radio and in less than 2 seconds I have a match. On my other antennas the match is practically instantaneous. Enjoy.

VA2PV, AE8O, N7UQ and 1 other person like this.
  6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The first thing I do is open it up and check it visually.

The unboxing only takes seconds. Visual inspection takes a few minutes.

The smoke test takes a bit longer.

KB8OTK, KT5OT, WG8Z and 2 others like this.
  7. K0OKS

K0OKS Ham Member QRZ Page

My 998 has been working flawlessly for months. No real complaints. If you wire it up properly with the send line then it cannot try to tune at full power, as your amp won't be turned on by the send line.

I would rather have the Palstar auto tuner, but it is over twice the costs, more than the amp. Maybe if this ever fails.

VA2PV likes this.
  8. KA0KA

KA0KA Ham Member QRZ Page

This is not news, why are people posting this, put it on a forum, not on the home page under 'News'...

W8LGZ likes this.
  9. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Reboxing? Did I ever tell you about this girl who..... uh, nevermind. The smell of corn is strong in this post...

10. K0OKS

K0OKS Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow that when over my head. Corn as in moonshine?

11. VE6WT

VE6WT Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought my 998RT in 2016 to tune my 43ft vertical which is 200 ft from the ham shack fed with Heliax. I have never had any problems to date. If you tune it properly, no problems. My IC-7600 works smoothly with it. By the way, I have also a PalStar AT2K. enuf said.

Ande - VE6WT

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  12. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

I want to now why this is in the news section... opening a box is not news..

W8LGZ likes this.
  13. K1SCE

K1SCE Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know what happen but you may want to check ur amp swr bypass. If my ALS 1300 senses anything over 1.3 swr it will turn off (this cut off is adjustable, 1.3 is factory default). I also use a GAP voyager and when on 80 or 40 mtrs I don't need the tuner. On those bands it never goes over 1.2 swr. But if it wasn't for the flat swr of the GAP I would sell my mfj 998. I keep it just in case I decide to play with another antenna, re: wire. In addition the 998 willnot tune 160 unless it is very close to the correct impedance. Also it has to many commands to remember, re: push these two buttons to do this, push this button two times within 5 seconds, stand on your head while pushing three buttons with your left hand, etc. I'm to old to remember all these commands. Bill hope this helps, I do like the ALS1300 because it has many safety functions. Like being on the wrong band, most amps will smoke (re:sb220). 73, Jim

14. W8LGZ

W8LGZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Think I'll do a video of me unboxing a box of boxes. ;) These unboxing videos are lame and boring. We all know most of our gear comes in a box, and is usually well packed. I don't know how others feel, but I get nothing out of watching someone "unbox" a piece of gear.

Jim, W8LGZ

N0YPD likes this.
  15. W2GLH

W2GLH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

you know what they call mfj i got the palstar hf auto had for 4 yrs still working 73s