ad: Mountaingoat-1

HamRadioNow: Florida Repeater... Counsel?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Mar 24, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I suppose you think it is okay for an organization that is supposed to support the orderly assignment of repeater pairs shouldn't be held accountable to the amateur community is is supposed to serve??

K4AAQ and W4ABC like this.
  2. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

One of us is on the wrong channel....

3. AF6LJ

It's not me honey.
    :cool:

4. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

You do know that if some do-gooder was reading this they would say that is sexual harassment:D

AF6LJ likes this.
  5. AF6LJ

Maybe ;)
    Besides; I am an old woman, I am entitled. :p

KA2CZU, K3RW, KK6ZLY and 1 other person like this.
  6. W9CR

W9CR Ham Member QRZ Page

The core issue here is as follows:
    • I am am a member of the Florida Repeater Council (and a vice-director on the board).
    • I have requested information members are legally entitled to under the law and our bylaws.
    • My attorney has informed them of this, and they have refused to comply.
    • The board members have committed unconscionable actions depriving the FRC of their honest services.
    It's the same concept as if Coca-cola's board of directors voted all the shareholders out of the company. The shareholders would sue the individual directors, not Coca-cola.

W4ABC and AF6LJ like this.
  7. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Mine was reasonable and was way before this one :eek:

W1YW likes this.
  8. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's somewhere between "click bait" and "troll".

9. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I haven't had a spare hour and a half yet to watch the video... and I don't know Bryan personally. I do know two things did happen illegally.
    1) the FRC server was hacked. An internal database was stolen and made public which contained information from the repeater registrations including detailed locations of the repeaters coordinated (mine included). Most repeater owners will give out the general repeater location over the air but usually not the exact tower location.
    2) FRC members email information (mine included) was contained in the stolen information and Bryan (not saying he was personally involved in the theft) created a mailing list that looked like an official (to me at least) FRC email list. Caused alittle confusion at first before the "members" realized what this list was actually for.

> <http://lists.keekles.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/frc-info>
    >http://lists.keekles.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/frc-info

There was quite a bit of info that was going back and forth before the list was taken off-line.

I guess I need to make time this am to see if this was addressed in the video.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  10. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Its definitely click bait, poster has monetary gain derived from subterfuge.

11. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like from the video Bryan addresses the first item.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

AF6LJ likes this.
  12. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's just more fighting and bickering within the hamateur radio hobby and an embarrassment.
    Seemingly every organization has been corrupted with and by people with no accountability, i.e., the ARRL, FRC, etc.

As far as I can see in the video W9CR is doing a good thing. But our hobby is in a sad state of affairs.

When I first got licensed in 1989 there was still a brotherhood in the hobby and we still treated each other with respect, a camaraderie. But that's all gone now. And I'm not saying things were perfect back then, we just couldn't see it as readily as we can now because of instant access social media.

But the exact same thing is happening across the board in our society now, just look at our politicians. We treat each other terribly on the air, here on QRZ.com, at hamfests, at clubs, at restaurants, on the highways, etc.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    W4ABC likes this.
  13. K4AAQ

K4AAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Monetary gain, yes (HamRadioNow.tv is supported by viewer contributions with modest success).

Subtrefuge? Would you care to explain?

14. K4AAQ

K4AAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, are we airing dirty laundry here, or disinfecting with sunlight? We might not know for a while.

This particular type of confrontation isn't new. Repeater owners have complained about coordination bodies pretty much since they were formed in the 70's. It's a somewhat potent mix of power, scarcity, corruption, envy... the only thing missing from politics in general is money, but hams don't usually need that to drive their ambitions. We cheat at contests just to see our name at the top of a list (even if we know it doesn't deserve to be there... unless we consider it to be a cheater's contest to win).

The thing that caught my attention was that you only went back to 1989 to find our golden age. Most of the time it'll be the '50's... or 60's soon as the hams who were around in the 50's become scarce.

Back then, though, the bickering was in the extensive mail column in 73 Magazine, and at ARRL forums at hamfests. I don't think Bryan is being trolly, thought I am still waiting to hear from anyone in the FCC who would like to appear on HamRadioNow - or maybe one of the other shows would feel like more neutral ground - to discuss the issues. I wouldn't bother if someone were just taking pot-shots. That happens all the time. Bryan has taken a few extra steps. His experience and credibility are on par with many current members of coordination groups. In most other settings, they'd be happy to have someone of his caliber participating.

W4ABC, K7JEM and AF6LJ like this.
  15. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I am just reflecting the BS thrown at me and adapting to the this sites culture that was discovered soon after my first few posts. Just continuing on with the way I was treated....... You are correct, this forum seems to have the largest bunch of arrogant and ignorant people that are mixed in with all the wonderful and cool pe0ple. At least the BS is on here instead on the Ham Bands

AF6LJ likes this.