ad: elecraft

HamRadioNow: Florida Repeater... Counsel?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Mar 24, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually no there are other amateur radio forums that are worse.
    Been there, done that, can write a book.
    The Zed is perhaps the best of all of them and has the best group of posters overall.
    Yah..
    There are a few AH's here, only a very few. :)

KD4MOJ and WF9Q like this.
  2. AF4RK

AF4RK Ham Member QRZ Page

I can tell you many horror stories about this group. This is one reason I don't use repeaters anymore. There is favoritism and repeaters cost a lot of money so corruption is possible. Usually they just do favors for their friends, I'm not sure any money changes hands. Everyone else can suck wind. It is important, at least to those of us who live in Florida. These senile, old f**ts have ruined any attempt at bringing Florida Repeaters into the 21st Century.
    AF4RK

KF4KUL, AI7PM and AF6LJ like this.
  3. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think that Bryan is doing a good thing. Sometimes sunshine needs to pierce the darkness. I remember when the state of Florida legislature passed the "Sunshine Law" many years ago because of the smoky back room, secretive, political good old boy system thing that was going on.

Yes my ham radio horizon only goes back to 1989 though I did begin listening to AMers on 160 and 80 meters in 1979. :eek:

AF6LJ likes this.
  4. W6QY

W6QY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you can't separate headlines from click bait, your going to have a miserable life on the Internet.

K7JEM likes this.
  5. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Its all FAKE and OPINION based so what is the point in trying do differentiate the dribble. It becomes difficult when they intentionally omit words that shed light on the truth. FYI, selectively omitting relevant words/details is no different than a lie.

W1YW likes this.
  6. W6SDM

W6SDM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds more like a CB group to me.

7. WM4P

WM4P Ham Member QRZ Page

Is 220 so crowded that coordination is even an issue?

K3RW and KF4KUL like this.
  8. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I count 42 in the published list.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

9. W4SJC

W4SJC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Having moved from a state with a lot of 220 to here in Florida I'm disappointed in the lack of 220 activity...with that said we all have processes that have to go through...and sad to say sometimes (or most of the times) it comes down to politics.

10. W4DJS

W4DJS Ham Member QRZ Page

Being a ham in Florida for more than 40 years I can tell you the FRC is the same now as it was back then. You could not get an answer out of them to get your repeater coordinated then and you cant get then to do it now. Somehow they started out on the wrong foot and never got in step with everyone.
    Forty years of unneeded irritation WA4DJS

AF4RK, KF4KUL and W4SJC like this.
  11. KK0DJ

KK0DJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

IMHO this sort of spat needs to be kept where it belongs... near the dirty laundry and soiled diapers... out of sight and definitely not on QRZ. Should this be allowed to go on here, I guess QRZ could be construed as an outlet similar to a supermarket checkout line complete with ultra-poor journalism and non-spell checked printed refuse. QRZ is a wonderful Ham website... please don't stoop to this sort of stuff? Let's keep the trash in the trashcan and the hobby on the desk and not vice-versa!

12. K0EED

K0EED XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Quoting from that site you noted....

Whoever put those comments on the site needs to rethink that. Regardless of the amount of use or traffic a repeater see's, if an owner or group coordinates a repeater and pays to maintain it and keep it on the air deserves to have some recognition ie. a coordinated repeater. It sounds like whoever wrote this feels like if a repeater see's little traffic they have a right to request the same pair regardless of interference. It doesn't work that way.

KF4KUL likes this.
  13. KI8W

KI8W Ham Member QRZ Page

Absolute power, corrupts....absolutely.

14. AF4RK

AF4RK Ham Member QRZ Page

This is not about politics. Only their friends get coordinated pairs. Broward Radio Club and Dade Radio Club can't get pairs because the FRC doesn't like them. The Florida Department of Transportation wanted to put up repeaters FOR FREE!! along the turnpike and THEY couldn't get pairs either. I gave up on VHF/UHF. Strictly HF now

15. KA9UCE

KA9UCE Ham Member QRZ Page

Ask users about the planned frequencies...no conflicts, install it and get it operational.
    If going the route you have, has become an exercise in arguments and futility, then ignore them and do your own thing.
    What other systems are on your pair, and close enough to either cause interference, or be caused interference by you?
    Nothing?
    Then build and operate your machine!
    It really IS that simple..