ad: Radclub22-1

Changes to 60 meters band for U.S. operators

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N9DSJ, Nov 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Da Gubmint is Playin muzikal Chairs wid 60 meters an lettin us run more power purty soon.

2. AC0H

AC0H Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope, everybody using one of those "channels" has to use the same center frequency.
    Usually with 2.8Khz of space per channel you could fit several dozen PSK31 QSO's simultaneously.
    This rule expressly prohibits that. EVERYBODY HAS TO USE THE SAME FREQUENCY.
    Same thing applies to CW.

This ruling was nothing more than a frequency grab by the Pactor III lids.
    I guarantee within a year there won't be anything but Pactor III on the 60m channels.

3. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Ding,.... Ding,....Ding,.... we have a WINNAH!!!!

4. W8NSI

W8NSI Ham Member QRZ Page

WL2K/Airmail - Sailmail take note

Note that if you hear pactor on freqs nearby, these are signals from primary frequency users. The MARS groups have pactor frequencies in the 5 mHz range.

5. KG9H

KG9H Ham Member QRZ Page

So.. does mean that we have a 2.8kHz BW channel to respect and if we run say.. 150Hz BW on CW...on the receiver we have a real band on CW more then a channel as in SSB?

6. AC0H

AC0H Ham Member QRZ Page

No, no more than ONE QSO per channel allowed.
    To their credit the ARRL did try to get this changed but the NTIA thinks letting multiple QSO's happen in a 2.8KHz channel could cause greater interference to primary users.

7. W8NSI

W8NSI Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham radios 5 sixty meter band channels! Will it start to sound like CB...

...With users stepping on each other?

The NRM says that you will use the center channel freq for your CW carrier, not plus or minus a few. If the rig actually generates an unmodulated carrier for CW then you would set that carrier to the center frequency [NOT the dial frequency]. If you are calling cq using this interpretation, you will be the exclusive user depending on propagation of the channel or else it will start to sound like a C.B. channel. You may set your receiver bandwidth narrow or wide as your choice because when you call CQ there will not be other cw qsos to one side or the other. You will only be contending with the primary frequency users whom you may not interfere.

8. WZ3O

WZ3O Guest

WOW, this "Report and Order" just proves there a re toooooo many Lawyers & the Government hires the out of work ones to write stuff for them.....:D

Hopefully radio manufacturers will do a "software update" for us to take advantage of these changes?!?

9. WZ3O

WZ3O Guest

[​IMG] Originally Posted by KY5U[​IMG]I am refusing to renew ARRL this year. Finally I have to admit they're clueless and to me, totally useless. They say they can't afford to poll members on their thoughts every year, yet they can send begging letters and "reminders". Total BS.

N0AZZ, as always there are people who "throw stones" at things they either don't want to or won't try to understand. It's a knee-jerk reaction, you know like those who "take their ball & go home" just because things change & not to their liking!

Change is inevitable & you have a decision to change with it or stay put, you're call. "Take you're ball & go home" or be open minded & possibly "learn something new"...

As always just my 2¢s, your mileage may vary......:D

10. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The effective date: 30 days after publication in the Federal Register.
    ​Whenever that may be......

11. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, it's half a loaf... or the glass is half full...

Requiring all CW and PSK to use the center frequencies on the channel is not going to encourage much more use. I am not thrilled to see PACTOR III allowed at the expense of other modes, like Olivia, which is also gaining favor in EMCOMM circles. At least they will not allow the auto robots there, so PACTOR III will likely be used only for EMCOMM.

But, the power increase will likely help a bit.

12. W3HKK

W3HKK Ham Member QRZ Page

The effective date: 30 days after publication in the Federal Register

Any idea when this will happen? Weeks? Months? Years?

13. W1RFI

W1RFI Ham Member QRZ Page

These things usually get into the Federal Register within a couple of weeks, although the holiday season could delay that a bit.

Ed, W1RFI/4

14. W1RFI

W1RFI Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that the primary reason for "1 QSO per channel" for CW and narrowband digital signals is that the feds don't want to have to try to chase multiple people off one of these channels when they want to use it. This was pretty much said in the Order.

Ed, W1RFI

15. NA4IT

NA4IT Ham Member QRZ Page

Someone indicated something very important. WL2K on Pactor III is an automated mode, which is not allowed on the 60M band. If someone is doing Pactor III on 60M, it must be operator controlled both ends.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.