ad: AlphaRF-1

Yaesu FT-891 Review: A Sleeper of a Deal

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KE0EYJ, Jul 6, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-gcopper
  1. W5TXR

W5TXR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I’m looking at buying one however, my philosophy about new ham radio electronics is “never buy version 1.0 of anything”!
    It has paid off. Most recently the FT-991. When it came out I really wanted to get one but decided to hold off to see what Yaesu was going to do. The FT-991A was introduced.
    I purchased a FT-991A and I enjoy it.
    The best HF transceiver I’ve ever owned is the FT-950, I will never sell it. I would buy another one if I could find a brand new one just keep it as a back up .

2. W5TXR

W5TXR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What do you mean by “USB polling noise”?

3. LB1TI

LB1TI Ham Member QRZ Page

If you hook up the radio to a PC through USB (assuming you have drivers installed etc) and use the CAT control, there is a audible ticking noise that is audible on all of the audio out sources, as well as RF out (AFAIK).

This noise is a result of the polling that happens o the PC side to the rig, if you do some searches on the web & or YouTube you'll find a few videos demonstrating it.

It's possible to mitigate it's annoyance by using the highest bit rate and setting the poll rate (in whatever software you use) to as slow as you can with it still being usable. For me that's approx once every 4 seconds or so. That helps, but it's still incredibly annoying to use with CAT control due to the polling noise.

4. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Just updated the firmware in my FT-891. Wow what a difference! Now it retains my settings even after being turned off. Definitely worth doing. Great radio for my mobile CW habit.

ND6M likes this.
  5. KD9CKB

KD9CKB Ham Member QRZ Page

ya but change bands and the settings go away, still not right,, maybe the next update they will get it figured out

6. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Only true if you actually use the band selector to change bands. You can watch this if you're a band-hopper. I'm now entirely satisified with the FT891.

WD0BCT and ND6M like this.
  7. OE3JTB

OE3JTB Ham Member QRZ Page

Yaesu fixed mine, changing over 20 parts see before

and after

Yaesu calls the repair kit "Cat noise"

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  8. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

KOOL! I never thought the VFO multi knob gave you so much control....I assumed it would only cover the band. Oh well...we know the derivation of the word assume.

KD8ZM likes this.
  9. LU2AOU

LU2AOU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, hello everyone. LU2AOU, I am new here and my name is carlos from Argentina. I was looking something about my new Rig and I discovered this wonderfull site and wonder if anyone can help me and knows about an issue I have with my recently bought Yaesu FT 891. Everytime when I am in VFO with the Squelch OPEN, I press the key B (while this key is assigned with the function "SCP") hear a sound that comes out from the loudspeaker. This does not happens when the key "B" is assigned to other function. As I said it is a sound and not a relay.
    Well if anyone has an idea, I would appreciate it very much, thanks to all. 73, Carlos