ad: CQMM-1

Why Do You Contest?

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by K9AT, Nov 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Do you have the details for that net, I'm not a net person but would have a lot to contribute.:p

2. N8MSA

N8MSA Ham Member QRZ Page

No-one is asking you to "like" contesting...what the issue is that something isn't bad just because you don't like it. I don't like a lot of what I hear on the air, but I just shrug and move on. Yeah...nets and roundtables get nudged during contest, but it's still a fraction of the overall operating time available and there is always room for a QSO. Everybody needs to be flexible - including you, despite your background. Everyone has challenges, but going postal about hobby radio isn't going make life better for anyone - including you.

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Very well said. And to the OP - no hard feelings but you need to know that without almost any exception, right
    after any major PHONE contest "this very thread" appears by someone just wanting to kvetch about how THEY hate contests
    without any regard to the THOUSANDS who actually enjoy them. There are only a few MAJOR phone contests a year.

Are you on the air NOW? It's quiet on most every band.... and yesterday - and tomorrow - and next weekend. And
    I've yet to read a thread about CW contests - only ever SSB. So why not try out a new mode? JT65 - JT9 - PSK - CW....
    hit the WARC bands - try EME (except for the weekends when the EME contest is going on :rolleyes:)

The point is exactly as MSA pointed out and per my signature line "It's not all about YOU" :D:D

Sorry if I ruffle feathers but these endless contest hate threads really get OLD.

Dave
    W7UUU

4. KQ0J

KQ0J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I check into a Morning net on 75M SSB every morning, sometimes the noon net or the 1:00PM 40M net. I run a weekly 6 meter net, there are 3 2M FM nets and 1 440 FM net that I regularly check in to . Never had contesters mess us up. On the 20M net I sometimes check in to - we skip it the one or 2 SSB contest days not a biggie. One net also meets on Echolink - contesters Never go there, maybe thats a thought for the poster.

Anyhow - I like to play with the contests too - SSB, Digital, RTTY and even CW. I rarely send in logs. The only ones I have formally entered in the last few years were CQ RTTY and Field Day.

5. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't think I will send in a log for my SWEEPSTAKES Contest last weekend. I got ONE CONTACT which would guarantee me LAST PLACE in the contest!!

6. KF5RHI

KF5RHI Ham Member QRZ Page

Last place is still placing! ;)

7. KG4NEL

KG4NEL Ham Member QRZ Page

My marathon strategy...

:eek:

8. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

I made 0. Submit it, you'll beat me :)

9. KF5RHI

Last weekend's sweeps was my first tentative steps into the world of contesting. I think I made a page full of contacts with only four from the same section.

10. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Gawd, now you're hooked.

11. KF5RHI

Sadly! :)

12. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I contest because I like to bully rag chewers and net chewers into fleeing to the WARC bands.

13. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What gets me are the ones that would rather quit then QSY for a weekend to 60, 30, 17 or 12 or switch to another mode for the weekend. All great bands all workable with current wire, beam, quad, vertical or any other antenna one is using if your rig has a tuner. Why would anybody need to take extra blood pressure pills trying to use a band where a major contest is taking place with sooooo many options available??

14. W4JFA

W4JFA Ham Member QRZ Page

The million dollar question is... Why are the bands so full during a contest?
    Million dollar answer... That's how many people like them.

15. WT2P

WT2P Ham Member QRZ Page

It all comes down to these people thinking that the frequency they have been on 7 days a week now is automatically theirs. The radio turns on and it's there. They go to bed and the VFO is still there. Happens enough that they seem to regard it as "their" frequency. And anyone be damned if they violate that sacred spot!

Scanning 40 SSB right now and it's pretty wide open.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.