ad: elecraft

What is the WORST rig you've ever had?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WF7I, Jul 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KB5PX

KB5PX Ham Member QRZ Page

kb5px

The best radio I ever had,
    was paide for'
    turned on when I asked it to,

Worst rig ?
    The one I had just borrowed and had just gone up in smoke.

2. M0JMO

M0JMO Ham Member QRZ Page

My first CB Radio when I was 14...

It was made by a company called Murphy :rolleyes:

3. WA9VLK

WA9VLK Guest

For me it is a tie.

The EICO 753 deserves all the wrath it gets. Although it is one of the better looking transceivers ever made, it covered the entire 40 meter band in about 20-30 minutes without touching a dial. It was fun to build, but then again, all the kits from the 1960s were fun to build. The EICO 720 is a superb CW rig but, ugh, what happened in engineering-land with the 753?

Although I understand they make pretty good stuff now...Ten Tec should have been liquidated after producing the Power Mite transceiver in the early 70s. What junk; don't know where to begin...transmitter? drift? chirp? receiver? drift? pathetic audio? ergonomics awful...it had it all. Was anyone paying attention when they unleashed this on the market? Good grief.

4. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

It is the Yugo of the Amateur world!

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought that was a feature. Ham rigs didn't include a "scanning" function until many years later.:)

6. W4DNR

W4DNR Ham Member QRZ Page

Me too... It was so bad that I also bought a 312B5 and then 75S3 and 32S3 combo.. then the 30L1, then the 30S1 and a 62S1. Best all around rig so far is my Kenwood TS2000

Don WA4NPL

7. WL7COL

WL7COL Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't remember the model number but it was a 2m/70cm dual bander from Icom. It was a 2m xcvr but - only rcv on 70cm.

No, I don't know what I was thinking because I wasn't even close to a satellite system then and was totally, only mobile.

8. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

The worst I ever owned was a Heathkit HW-202; it was a 6-channel crystal-controlled 10-watt radio that had some bugs in the earliest versions. That radio taught me to never be a "guinea pig" again. :eek:

9. K1NVY

K1NVY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yaesu FT-1000MP MK-V.

I sunk $4000 into that white noise generator, did all the mods (less the PIN diode mod) and finally gave up on it. CW notes were clunky and noise floor in the Ozone Layer. I preferred using a Kenwood TS-140S over that POS. I finally shelved it and eventually sold it to an SSB no-code guy.

10. MI3LVZ

MI3LVZ Guest

Ten_Tec Paragon

My worst radio has to be the Paragon. As usual the PLL gave me nothing but heart ache. When the radio worked it actually worked well but just a torture when the PLL gave up.
    Still i might just risk a Paragon 2 as i am told they dont suffer PLL probs....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.