ad: expert-3

What is the WORST rig you've ever had?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WF7I, Jul 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

WORST RADIO?

By far the WORST ham radio I EVER owned or operated is a Yaesu FT-857D. I would NOT take one for FREE if I were required to KEEP it & OPERATE it & NOT be allowed to sell it.I HATE NOISE in my receiver & this rig will NOT get rid of MOST noise that other rigs do not even know is there.This is an EXCUSE for a multi band all mode rig.Save the headache & buy an ICOM if given the choice.

CLAYTON
    W4KVW:eek:

2. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

The "worst radios" are fairly numerous. First is the Atlas 215, it never ran more than a few days at a time though small and inovative. National's early transceivers, NCX-3, NCX-200, and NCX-500. None worth 2 cents on CW, and not alot better on other modes for that matter, worst frequency dial of all time, I think.

The NCX-5 wasn't any better on CW but overall, a great improvement over the NCX-3 and and other early National xceivers, the mechanical dial was slick and tracked very well.
    [​IMG]

3. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

Eico 753. But I still have fond memories of it ;)

Certified by 35 other hams on eham reviews. SOrt by review.
    http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/14

I see my review is still there....

It was better than the DX60 and xtal I was using! My elmer loaded me this rig when I upgraded to Advanced in 1974 so at 14 years old I would do anything to get on the air. This rig took full advantage of my attitude. I ended up leaving the top cover off and was lucky when it made it through a QSO without something breaking! THere was always smoke or an arc and radio down. I would race to get it fixed before my QSO left me.

4. KI6USW

KI6USW Ham Member QRZ Page

New Ham...

I sure hope that the Icom IC-718 doesn't make it to this list eventually - as it is my first radio. I also managed to pick up a Kenwood TS-120S for next to nothing. I hope it doesn't take a hit on someone's list - either.

Maybe someone should document the loser rigs after a few more days and tally the results that made the worst from this thread - and to include all of those radios that deserve dishonerable mention.

Maybe the mfr's would read it - and cringe!
    :eek:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  5. KN0CK

KN0CK Ham Member QRZ Page

By far the worst rig....FT-747GX

I <unfortunately> owned a FT-747GX HF rig that I purchased on EBay for (at the time) a decent market price. I read in earlier posts that the '747 was called the 'plastic fantastic', and it wasn't until I received the rig from the seller that I understood why. Gawd - that thing was CHEAPLY put together and was wired with the cheapest garbage that could be found (vinyl covered 24AWG stranded wire). The entire case was made of plastic and had a REAL cheap feel to it - there was none of the 'heft' you'd expect from a Yaesu rig. Not only that, but the rig was controlled by an ASIC on the main board that, if it was acting up, pretty much screwed anyone from getting the thing to work. The main board was 80% of the rig - there was nothing modular about it at all to make any repair at a reasonable cost. Mine developed a display problem 3 weeks into its use from the day it arrived that made it impossible for me to know where I was tuned and what Rx and Tx levels were (all display the elements were on). So, after 3 weeks of operation, I ended up selling it on QTH.com for parts and took a severe beating on what I spent to 'own' it. Bought an FT100D and never looked back.</unfortunately>

6. NI7I

NI7I Guest

Have to be the WRT-2/R390 combination. The t2 because it took forever to tune and it weighed 1200 poinds. The r390 was just an old POJ tube rx. It worked but was also large and generated a lot of heat. Was glad to get an R91051 to replace it.

NI7I

7. NE0U

NE0U Ham Member QRZ Page

What is the WORST rig you've ever had?

Ok, I can't resist. Bearing in mind that I have been a ham now for 38 years and that when I started out, I had absolutely no money: My first receiver was a Heathkit GR-64. Asthetically, a very nice receiver, but definately not up to the task of being a ham receiver. It was so baaaaaddddd, when my mom popped a slice of bread into the toaster, I would completely lose the 40M ham band! Later on with general license in hand, I modified my homebrew 6L6 transmitter to run AM with a homebrew outboard modulator - unfortunately, the modulator put out more RF than the transmitter and I was promptly informed that I was QRMing myself to the point that it was totally unreadable!

Things were different back then...

Steve
    NE0U

8. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Eico 753. Never actually owned one, but helped a friend who did. He was a newbie at the time, and was so proud of his new acquisition....he ended up replacing EVERY capacitor in that thing, as well as doing many other upgrades. He learned a lot.

It sounded crummy on the air, but at least it didn't stay in one place very long....

9. W5LMP

W5LMP Ham Member QRZ Page

ill agree the vx-150 is a great rig and its not hard to program manualy after about 5 memories. JUST DONT BREAK OFF THE CONTROL KNOB THAT WORKS THE VFO OR MENU. Then its impossible to do anything manually....
    worst radio kenwood 271A hated the audio and a pain to program. didnt much care for the key setup

10. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

I had one my elmer loaned me when I passed from novice in 1975. It was an upgrade from what I had as novice!

Often (several times a day) had failures. All easy repairs. Kept cover off and solder iron ready for repair!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.