ad: CQMM-1

Warm up Exercises for Iambic Keying

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M0FEU, Jan 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. M0FEU

M0FEU Ham Member QRZ Page

A short video outlining some simple warm up exercises you can include at the start of your Morse practice routine to help iron out some of those bad habits. If you keep tapping the levers instead of holding them closed, perhaps this is for you.

IMG_20200119_200609[1].jpg

73 de OE6FEG/M0FEU
    Matt

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    KG5KZR, WB7DUO, N4FZ and 9 others like this.
  2. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I love this!

But on a side note, I can't help but think of Ed Norton playing Suwanee River on the piano.

W3UF likes this.
  3. W6RFC

W6RFC Ham Member QRZ Page

I like this too! Thanks!

4. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

whats the box on the left of the padde? modulated cw trasmitter ?

5. KC8WIK

KC8WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

6. N3GY

N3GY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very cool stuff Matt .. ; Thank's for posting it / Best regards 73's de N3GY Hilton

7. N2AMM

N2AMM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sweet! Thank's Matt.

8. HB9EPC

HB9EPC Ham Member QRZ Page

Very cool stuff Matt ..
    a+Chris.

9. KC8UD

KC8UD Ham Member QRZ Page

The warm up routine is not a bad idea. May I suggest a little better posture of the hand. Rather than fingers being so far away where you end up having to swing and slap the paddles...keep the thumb and finger up to the paddle at all time where they are just barley touching and then the most gentle squeeze makes for smooth comfortable operation.

AG6QR, KA2IRQ and M0FEU like this.
  10. KA2IRQ

Completely agree... in all types of keying I see people expending a lot of energy in being inefficient. My fingers never leave the paddles- it's supposed to be "squeeze keying" - thumb and forefinger. Your wrist or arm should never move and should be completely supported by the table.

Even in straight keying- you see people who mount their key at the edge of the table and their whole arm is going up and down with their elbow floating in mid air. OMG, are you kidding me? I couldn't sustain that for more than about 2 minutes.

I mean, to each his own- do what's comfortable for you. But when your whole arm is flapping in the breeze, don't complain that your keying is sloppy, slow, and your arm hurts! And the faster you go, the worse it will be!

11. AF4RK

AF4RK Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I have been sending CW at 25 to 35 wpm for 50 years. I don't do this folks. I press the paddles, I don't squeeze them. So, if this floats your boat, Mazel Tov! In ham radio there's always someone who has to complicate life. There might be some people who will find this an additional challenge to using a keyer. I don't find it necessary to send very accurate code and it's one more thing to learn. I have experimented with iambic sending and found it unnecessarily complicated for my style of Morse. I got a Vibroplex Champion bug when I was 13. (1963) I got the 25 WPM Code Proficiency Award that year by learning how to type on a Smith Corona. (big black typewriter with the distinctive return lever). This might explain why I never developed the habit of "squeezing" the paddle. I had to make dahs manually. Now I just hold the dah paddle for the appropriate amount of time and then press the dit paddle when appropriate . I have to get into a rhythm when I change speeds, but in a contest I send 22 to 24 wpm. I can copy 35 and send that fast as well but not everyone in a contest can copy that fast. So, if you're thinking of using a keyer, this iambic thing is optional.
    AF4RK
    American Freedom 4 Radio Kilowatts

12. KA2IRQ

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  13. K9PLG

K9PLG Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice Video !
    The musical aspect works for me - it is like playing an instrument.. GOOD CW has rhythm like music to me.. And it takes a good sense of rhythm to send well IMHO. I prefer a bug myself as that's what I used when young (13) and the muscle memory never went away... I found I could almost pick back up where I left off over 40 years ago. I can't seem to get the hang of keyer tho, maybe slowly.. Would like to get a Vibrokeyer so at least the handle is the same as my bugs...

14. K7CMI

K7CMI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Matt...What are the settings on the Morserino?
    73 K7CMI
    Marty

15. M0FEU

M0FEU Ham Member QRZ Page

It's just set to CW keyer.