ad: LZQSLprint-1

U.S. & Australian Over-The-Horizon HF RADAR

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KA0KA, Mar 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone with a spectrum display can see the propagation sounders sweep up the ham bands when they are operating. Used to think it was a swishing VFO or something till I saw what it was. Can you spin the knob fast enough to track one?

WQ4G likes this.
  2. N1SZ

N1SZ QRZ Lifetime Member #233 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The ITU lists this frequency as a part of the FIXED service in regions 1 and 3. The FIXED service is a primary user.... in other words, a valid use for OTHR. (from 47 CFR Part 2)

Jim

N0TZU likes this.
  3. N3RW

N3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

In the past, the USSR ran a 'HenRoost' OTHR radar. Used the moon as a test reflector!

4. N1SZ

N1SZ QRZ Lifetime Member #233 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

HAARP did the same thing a number of years back using a 40m frequency.

5. K3GAU

K3GAU Ham Member QRZ Page

Shouldn't those posted frequencies actually read MHz. instead of KHz.? Only off by a factor of one thousand!
    Dave

6. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm with you Dan~ Perhaps- 'Equipment Management, using Propagation Tools'

7. K9RX

K9RX Ham Member QRZ Page

so this looks very much like the junk I receive on 30M in the afternoons - my 3 element yagi seems to be picking it up from the east where at times it is 30 over! It wipes out 30M and goes well down close to 9Mhz and up above the 30M band. I've also seen it on 40M as well. Great.
    Gary, K9RX

8. K9RX

K9RX Ham Member QRZ Page

actually no... not what I'm seeing. What I'm seeing looks similar in that it is a rolling waveform on the peaks but it is literally from 9.2Mhz up to 10.2Mhz and VERY loud on the rolling rounded peaks... any clue what this is? I checked with a friend in FL who said he is seeing it as well. (I'm in SC).
    Gary, K9RX

9. M0ODV

M0ODV Ham Member QRZ Page

Heard what i presume is JORN during the afternoons around 10993Khz +/- around 14.00hrs UTC.

https://instaud.io/3v5y

10. KX0DW

KX0DW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Radio Exterior de Espana on 9690kHz is active daily from 1400 to 2200 UTC (Saturday and Sunday) and from 1800-0200 UTC (Monday through Friday) with some severe spurious emissions that seem to come and go. The spurious emissions cover +/- several hundred kHz from the fundamental frequency and are readily visible on a waterfall display when present. I suspect that this is the source of your interference based upon my observations here in Maryland.

N1SZ likes this.
  11. W0WUG

W0WUG Ham Member QRZ Page

Who else besides me remembers the Russian "wood pecker" OTH radar days in the 1980's?
    When it appeared in the ham bands hams would center on the frequency and send long strings of 'dits' on top of the wood pecker.
    Eventually word leaked out from Russia that ham 'dits' would mess with the radar. Booo f'n hoo. Of course I only heard about this . ;) ;)
    * Wild Ugly Gorilla

12. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

Using Google Earth, find Chernobyl, Ukraine. Once there, look about five miles ssw of the faulty reactor and you'll be able to see the Duga-3 antenna, aka the source of the woodpecker noise.