ad: elecraft

Texas HAMS Alert - SB 43 Pending in Texas Senate

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KA5ETX, Jan 11, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

A friend and fellow MC rider was killed when a teen crossed an entire interstate median after dropping his cell phone while driving and searching for it on the floor of his car. The car T-boned the cyclist doing between 60 and 70 mph.
    Insurance companies know what causes accidents and they firmly endorse self driving car technology.
    In other words...they have seen the enemy and it is us. One of these days self driving cars will be mandated...then you can use your radio or go to sleep, whatever. They may still have accidents but I'll bet the fatality rate will be lower on our highways.

2. KM4NYI

KM4NYI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You can bet mandated self-driving cars will be the beginning of the end for motorcycle riding.

3. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh to be sure. MCs will become a sport only and limited to tracks and off road courses.
    I don't care for the idea but it is coming. The only thing to be determined is how soon this will come about. Might not be in my lifetime.

N9UTJ likes this.
  4. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

I sincerely hope not. "......................something about 'cold, dead hands' comes to mind. Those left behind will all be Energizer Bunnies:(
    walking in lock step with whoever is in control. "..........In the year 2525, if Man is still alive...........the food you eat is in the pill you took today":( I'll be long gone!

5. N9UTJ

N9UTJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep and also I bet with a push of a button a cop or hacker by then could disable you self driving "vehical" too .

6. K5KTF

K5KTF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What needs to happen is we need to make sure our served agencies are aware of this bill, and kindly ask that their directors contact the senators to shoot this thing down.
    A bunch of Hams crying to our senators is a few drops in the bucket. Yes, I have already written to mine, Senator Kirk Watson *rolls eyes* for all the good that may do.
    The Red Cross, Salvation Army, NWS, and local government leaders would have a bigger voice in their ears, with examples of how we have supported them in the past, and this bill would put a halt to all that FREE support.

WD0BCT likes this.
  7. KD5OEI

KD5OEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I must have missed where someone pointed out that the 'crossed out' section at https://w5wx.net/2018/12/28/texas-legislature-sb43/ used the words "radio frequency device other than a portable wireless communications device". mobile transceivers are not defined as a portable wireless communication device according to those definitions repeatedly quoted.

The prohibition looks like it is against all lawful, non-commercial users of radio frequency devices, apparently meaning any so-called "2-way radios".
    The family traveling in the minivan with any added antenna, etc.. could get stopped for a wrong reason. For a CB radio. That's just wrong.
    It's bigger than ham radio. The remarks have been posted to other groups such as camping and off road groups active in Texas, with members that use amateur and other non-commercial licensed radio frequency devices as mobile radios.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  8. K4KWH

This would likely be one of the unfortunate consequences of such laws. It needs intervention from FCC itself. US law already (FCC regulations) state that control of the licensing, permission, and operating parameters are under THEIR jurisdiction. That law plus the fact that two way radio has never had any noticable affect on driving should be enough. In a court case, I would believe that the burden would be on the state to PROVE definitively that a TWR had such affect, and to show cause why the state has the right to supercede FCC regulations by restricting the use of a two way radio. I am still betting that they would not win in Federal court. And, if forced to in such an action (ticketed by some pot-bellied smart aleck), I would also bring forth 91-36 which states both FCC and Congress' intent FOR the use of mobile amateur radio.

9. N2FRA

N2FRA Ham Member QRZ Page

ALL radio communications fall under Federal jurisdiction, yet states and even local municipalities regularly restrict installations (antennas, for example) or usage (such as when operating a motor vehicle). As far as I know, all states that prohibit cellular telephone use while driving have exempted hands-free operations. I am not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV, but it seems to me that a Bluetooth hands free ear-set should provide an end run around such legislation should it be enforced against amateur radio operators.

10. KM5QS

KM5QS Ham Member QRZ Page

Tell me again how your vote does'nt matter. Oh yeah also how knowing something about your candidate is not important.
    IF YOUR ELECTED REP IS NOT DOING YOUR BIDDING, CHANGE IT IN THE VOTING BOOTH , ten thousand posts here will do nothing!
    ok, rant over, 73, KM5QS

11. KK4VRE

KK4VRE Ham Member QRZ Page

It says it in the paperwork when you apply for Amateur Radio plates.
    It also says you can have the same EXACT plates for a 4-wheeled vehicle (automobile), a 2-wheeled vehicle (motorcycle), and a trailer.
    I have 2 sets of plates that are IDENTICAL, 1 for my truck (2 plates), and 1 for my motorcycle (smaller plate, single). If I ever get a trailer, I'll make it all 3.

12. K9STH/SK

K9STH/SK QRZ Member QRZ Page

VSK:

Directly from the Texas application for amateur radio license plates:

Submit the completed application and payment in the form of a personal check, money order, or cashier’s check, and any required attachments to your local county tax assessor-collector’s office. Do not mail cash. There is no specialty plate fee; however, registration and local fees will apply. When the specialty plates are issued, additional fees may be collected to establish a single expiration date for both the specialty plate and the vehicle registration. Submit a copy of your Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Mobile Amateur Radio License with this application. Up to three sets of plates may be issued for vehicles titled in your name that are equipped with mobile amateur radio equipment. The vehicle must be for personal use only. The license plates are issued with the same official amateur call letters to each vehicle registered by the same owner. To display the International Symbol of Access on your license plate, attach a signed Application for Persons with Disabilities Parking Placard and/or License Plate (Form VTR-214) to this application. If you order by mail, contact your county tax assessor-collector in three weeks to verify your plates are ready. Contact your county tax assessor-collector if you have any questions.

The requirement for equipment being installed is highlighted in red.

BCT:

A similar caused accident happened to a vehicle that I had for less than 2-weeks (bought brand new) when a teenage girl, who had graduated from high school the night before, and who had received a brand new expensive automobile as a graduation present after the graduation ceremony, was driving down my street (downhill). She dropped some change on the floor, got bent down to get the money, let go of the steering wheel, and pressed down on the gas pedal. The car crossed over the roadway and hit my vehicle almost head on. Her vehicle was "totaled" and my vehicle was damaged.

My wife heard the crash and rushed out the door. After making sure the girl was OK, my wife started telling the girl how stupid she (the girl) was. The girl's father's insurance company had to pay for her brand new totaled vehicle and fought, tooth and nail, against having to pay for the damage to my vehicle! They insisted that I take the vehicle to a repair facility of their choosing, which I did not (it is against the law in Texas to even try to force this). I had the vehicle towed to the dealer from which it had been purchased. Then, the insurance company refused to pay the bill for almost 2-months. After numerous telephone calls between the dealer and the insurance company, it seemed that the insurance company was questioning a less than $5.00 total charge! The major insurance company was unhappy that I refused to deal with the repair facility that they used and was just making things as hard as possible for me and the dealer!

Glen, K9STH

13. K4KWH

I don't think there is such a requirement in North Carolina. NC is more than happy to accept your money whether it be for excessive taxes (property or otherwise), fees for this, fees for that, state taxes, vehicle inspection, local car taxes--any money they can get their grubby hands on! ;) And that includes a "vanity" plate fee whether it is an amateur tag or otherwise. While I have a so-called "vanity" plate, it is not for an amateur plate. I regard having my amateur call being carried about everywhere I go a security risk, so I don't display my call anywhere on my vehicle.

KE4YMX likes this.
  14. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

The NC Amateur plate is an extra $10 above the regular registration. you can have up to 3 sets of identical plates on separate registered items,... but,.. you also have to BUY a portable radio unit. It doesn't mention that it has to be installed in the vehicle.

"I, the undersigned, do hereby certify that I hold an unrevoked and unexpired amateur radio license, of a renewable nature, issued by the Federal Communications Commission, and, that I have purchased a portable radio unit suitable for use in emergencies."

https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/title-registration/license-plates/Documents/MVR-35.pdf

15. KG5WKO

KG5WKO Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree this is sad but I was expecting this for all non-commercial use of mobile communication devices. I nearly became a silent key as a soccer mommy in SUV never even saw me because she was on a cell phone. Distracted driving is becoming a plague nationally.I am out dealing with this mess. We may lose mobile radio nationally simply because people refuse to be responsible with in-car communications of all types. Sad but every person who uses a cell phone, walk man, radio while driving is distracted and an accident waiting. Perhaps this might wake up people to this but until then we suffer loss of rights. Texas does have the power to limit permitted activities in a moving vehicle.
    If you are in that moving vehicle with a radio, cell, etc on actively diverting your attention you are a distracted driver and why this bill is being passed!If you ever have to shovel up a dead child into a bag because somebody was on their phone and distracted you might not be opposed to this bill-I have more than I want to remember. In the 70's most were DUI caused, now they are mostly DWD-Driving while Distracted.
    Sorry!