Solar Storms are a fact of life. An enormous solar storm struck Earth around 591 BC

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K1LPI, Mar 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

The OP got the dates wrong.
    Here is the info from the article:

"Evidence of an enormous solar storm that struck the Earth around 2,610 years ago has been found in ice cores from Greenland.
    These phenomena, called solar proton events (SPEs), represent a threat to modern society in terms of communication and navigation systems, space technologies, and commercial aircraft operations.
    Evidence of such events is recorded in annually resolved natural archives, such as tree rings and ice cores (drilled samples of ice).
    To learn more about SPEs, Lund University’s Professor Raimund Muschelerand his colleagues from Sweden, France, Switzerland, Korea, the UAE, and the US analyzed ice cores from Greenland.
    The material contained evidence of a very powerful solar storm that occurred in 591 BC.
    It is only the third such event reliably documented and is comparable with the strongest SPE detected at 775 CE.
    “We also took part in research that confirmed the existence of two other massive solar storms, using both ice cores and the annual growth rings of old trees,” Professor Muscheler explained.
    “Those storms took place in 775 CE and 994 CE.”
    The findings were published online this week in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences."
    Paschal O’Hare et al. Multiradionuclide evidence for an extreme solar proton event around 2,610 B.P. (∼660 BC). PNAS, published online March 11, 2019; doi: 10.1073/pnas.1815725116​

2. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

Great Info again Bonnie I remember a large CME years ago back when Art Bell was on 80# meters & the band went dead ! the next morning I read that 3 satellites DIED ! big communication "BIRDS" as we at AMSAT say ! By the way the "Alpha Hotels" keep showing up ! Hi Hi 73' Phil KI6PMD..

KI7PMQ and KQ6XA like this.
  3. W1LWT

W1LWT Ham Member QRZ Page

oh i like fairy tales---there so exciteing-----So when does the white knight ride across the sky to save us all.......

4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

So if I got the dates correct, roughly speaking 1500 years between the first two events, 200 between the second and third, and then 800 until the Carrington event. Not much of a pattern (not much data though).

KK6JKC likes this.
  5. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Soon. I have to finish lunch first.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

K8NY, KK6JKC, KA4KOE and 1 other person like this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Them protons are killahs!

Here's hopin' we don't see a major proton event in our lifetime.

Chip W1YW

----------------
    upload_2019-3-14_20-50-8.png

KI4AX and N0TZU like this.
  7. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Dang , I wanted to conner the market on protons , with my new home brew proton collector ;)
    The I could trade propagation other goodies

8. NU4R

NU4R Ham Member QRZ Page

"CE?"

Et tu Bonnie?

K0OKS likes this.
  9. K7RHT

K7RHT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

What a bunch of comedians, LOL

AB9HP likes this.
  10. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

True, though according to https://www.space.com/7224-150-years-worst-solar-storm.html the Carrington was three times as bad as 1989. And I wonder about all the unshielded electronics in cars, aircraft, PCs, hospitals, factories, etc. I've read science fiction stories where aliens (or a major foreign power) used a super electromagnetic pulse to fry the world's "nervous system."

KI7PMQ and W4MHZ like this.