ad: M2Ant-1

Review of the MFJ-423MVP 30 amps Power Supply

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Jun 23, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K5TGS

K5TGS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I too have used this power supply for several years with no issues. The video review sums it up well. It is compact, metered and very good for both bench and portable use. A very quite power supply even under a load.

2. K6BAA

K6BAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Have owned this power supply for three years, no problems, very quiet (audio and interference) and compact. Just ran my IC-7200, 100 watts on field day with no issues.

3. K6BRN

K6BRN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, so far, the MFJ power supply is batting about .500. Good for baseball, not so good for a product.

4. HK4DEI

HK4DEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I have one of those for about 4 years now and no issues at all.
    The fan noise was beyond annoying, so I replaced the fan and now it's running totally quiet. 10/10

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The $.25 front panel voltage adj pot was enough to convince me that the inside was cheap too.

I paid a bit more and bought a Astron, Because I do not like it when my radio smokes.

WD4IGX likes this.
  6. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

I picked up a new MFJ-4230MVP today. It makes a voltage spike of 20+ volts at power on. My old 4230 did not do this. The controller is a http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tl494.pdfa
    Anyone familiar with this and have an idea before I pack it back to HRO?

I notice the needle on your 4230 bangs the right side when you switch it on. At first I though this might be ballistics but another meter confirms 20+ volts. If I get fired up enough to dig out the scope I'll try to make a photo.

73, -Bob ah7i/w4

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  7. KA9JLM

8. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

There is not a lot of energy in the spike. A fixed load resistor will cut it way dowm

I tried a 1k load resistor and the spike was not reduced. I contacted MFJ and they said that the 20+V spike is not normal. They said I could take it back to HRO or let them swap it out. In addition, they offered to help me fix the old one that I spilled water into! I'll give them a call and if the new one is a simple fix, save time and do it here.
    73, -bob ah7i/w4

9. KA9JLM

Sounds like the filter cap on the output is not working. Did you try a cap on the output ?

10. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm getting ready to head out to work. 4 x 12s in a row. Won't have time to play wit hit again until Monday. Will post follow up when done.
    73, -Bob ah7i/w4

11. W2JF

W2JF Ham Member QRZ Page

First, Thank You N6YFM -- excellent info! Second, I have two of these supplies (the Jetstream version); both work quite well. However, I do have one question, after having reviewed the specs on this puppy vs. some of the other switchers out there: This supply specs a 100 mv ripple. Many of the other (admittedly more expensive and moosier supplies) are down in the 5 - 10 mv range. Anyone have any audible ripple problems, and/or stuff like RF noise, etc (it is a switcher, after all). It'd be interesting to see an A/B on-air test between this unit, and say, a quality linear supply. Anyone? Thanks, folks.
    -- John

12. N6WMD

N6WMD Ham Member QRZ Page

Never have had a problem with my mfj,however my Astron meter lights have failed after about two months.

13. N5WLS

N5WLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I have several of these from MFJ. So far, so good. Never a problem.

14. KC2QQR

KC2QQR Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got a few Radioshack 25a Switching Powersupplys, and one that has been running 24x7x365 for 10 years+. Only time I shuter down is when I clean it with my air duster.

No electrical noises on my RX/TX, quiet fan, and best of all, good, clean power!

Best 12V supply I've seen and used.

Supposed to be the same as a certain MFJ or Samlex unit...not sure which one.

I actually bought another one from a fellow off here a few months ago.

[​IMG]

15. KI5AXE

KI5AXE Ham Member QRZ Page

MFJ-4230MVP How can you tell if you have a Jetstream version? Mind is made in Taiwan.