ad: k1jek

Raspberry Pi for HAM Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by F4GOH, Nov 3, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. 2E0FXZ

2E0FXZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I was thinking something similar - but it should remind you of the BBC Micro Model B. Why? Because that was the ultimate progenitor of all Raspberry Pis but also, more importantly all ARM based devices. Your smart phone is a direct descendant of the greatest of all the 80s microcomputers. This...

BBC_Micro.jpeg.jpeg

N0NB likes this.
  2. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't recall seeing that one here in The States.

3. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

4. 2E0FXZ

Sadly they weren't successful in the US. But they were ubiquitous in British schools in the 80/90s. The BBC Micro was available in two versions at first, the Model A and B which is where the Raspberry Pi names came from originally.
    Of more significance, the first ARM processor was developed as a kind of maths coprocessor for the Model B. Which led to the Acorn Archimedes, which used the ARM2, then the ARM3 and later ARM250 SOIC. Far more powerful than IBM PCs in terms of MIPS they ran an OS called RISC OS (which you can still download and install on a Pi).
    And of course ARM chips still power many/most? smartphones, TV stick dongles, routers, printers, etc. So, in a way, if you have a smartphone, you kind of have a BBC Micro in your pocket. Beats a Commodore any day of the week ;-)
    No offense to Commodore fans, I had a C64 as well - Made in England of course.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    N0NB likes this.
  5. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

[QUOTE="2E0FXZ, post: 5659726, member: 918375"...remind you of the BBC Micro Model B. ...[/QUOTE]

I always liked that keyboard! almost as good as the SOL-20 keyboard (10 years earlier).

The RPi400 keyboard just hurts to even look at...

2E0FXZ likes this.
  6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

You can add another keyboard of your choice.

I hear the RPi400 has very nice CPU cooling.

The keyboard is a heatsink.

I want one, Just for grins. :D

7. F4GOH

F4GOH Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]
    My 1st computer. it still works !
    Grandfather of the RPI400. Made in England. Only good memories.

US7IGN likes this.
  8. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

F4GOH - Anthony

Thank you for posting this pot of gold. I was proficient with using Raspberry Pi several years ago. But there is now so much more. Your links are invaluable in getting me up to speed again with all of the new things that can be done. It is almost winter, and with the COVID epidemic, I will soon start my annual "ham season" of building and experimenting.

Thanks again.

Ken

9. 2E0FXZ

I had forgotten about the Oric - nice machine! But it is not part of the genesis of the Pi. As I explained above, the ancestry of the Pi and all ARM derived devices ultimately goes back to the BBC/Acorn machines.

10. K3VVV

K3VVV Ham Member QRZ Page

11. F4GOH

F4GOH Ham Member QRZ Page