ad: ProAudio-1

Proposed Illinois Legislation Would Ban Licensed Amateur Radio Ops From Mobile use

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AC2FO, Jan 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W9JR

W9JR Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder when the Wisconsin legislature will jump on this bandwagon. But, what is REALLY distracting in Wisconsin is when a deer jumps out of the darkness right in front of you! Now, I don't know about the deer situation in Illinois ... but, should deer along the highways be outlawed because of the accidents they cause? I can understand about the texting by the young people using very tiny electronic equipment ... but, ham radio? Does anyone have statistics of crashes caused by ham radio operators in relation to our young people texting while driving? NO COMPARISON! Why should the responsible older generation ham radio operators be penalized because of the irresponsibile young people texting while driving? The problem with all this is YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!

2. WA6TKD

WA6TKD Ham Member QRZ Page

But sense when has that stopped governments (fed, states, and local) from trying to legislate against stupid?

Stupid is as stupid does and governments seem to lead the charge in that area in my opinion.

<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig -->

3. NI7I

NI7I Guest

In my opinion, most of those "responsible older generation" shouldnt be driving.... with or without distracting devices.. You would probably find a high percentage
    of "older generation" folk that shouldnt even be walking any where near traffic.. There aughtabealaw....

4. N7YQC

N7YQC Ham Member QRZ Page

Nevada passed a distracted drivers law last year affecting mobile operations. With help from the ARRL we can operate mobile as long as the mike has only a PTT button or is blue-tooth, of course this eliminates the scanning function of most radios, this effectively eliminated handhelds except with speaker mike. The only time you can use a full function mike while driving is in a perceived disaster or emergency involving life or property. The law went into effect January 1, 2012.

5. NI7I

NI7I Guest

Somehow hams are not as likely to be distracted while operating a blue tooth radi than an ordinary motorist operating a bluetooth phone.. I dont think so. Another lawmaking
    body conned by the ARRL

6. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

7. KD8IGK

KD8IGK Ham Member QRZ Page

I just saw a note from Rep. Karen May updating the public on this law. The current revised bill DOES NOT exclude Amateur or CB radio operation. You can operate your radio only if you are directly working an emergency situation or your vehicle is stopped. It has gone to the Senate for the next phase. I feel we got told a different story that was previously indicated. Not surprising a legislator does not tell the truth. The only way to stop this now is for the Senate to change the bill and that is very unlikely.

8. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

If you go to this link, it shows that the amendment was adopted (amendment 3) and that this bill passed the house on 3/8/2012. It still has to go to the senate and then be signed by the gov (I suppose). In any event, you can read the text of the bill that was passed, and it certainly does exempt HR operations:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=3972&GAID=11&DocTypeID=HB&SessionID=84&GA=97

9. NI7I

NI7I Guest

If I were to support any legislation of this nature, this is one I would go for.. I think it's perfectly reasonable, if you are going to legislate it at all..
    If hams are going to rally against these "laws", they should not go for exemptions, but go for doing away with any law that prohibits specific equipment.
    If you are going to legislate specific equipment, ham radio, in my opinionm, doesnt rate any special treatment.. Not all cell phone users are incapable
    of using a phone and driving.. Not all hams are capable of using their radios and driving.. Whats wrong with the "reckless or careless" driving regulations
    already on the books?

Lee
    NI7I

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.