ad: ProAudio-1

P5/4L4FN QRT

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE7NGR, Nov 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N5VRZ

N5VRZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey, I had absolutely no idea that the Indian government was being so unfriendly to the hams wanting to operate from those islands. My answer to your question is, yes, aim our wrath at any government that stiffles freedoms in any way. Aim wrath, not missles!

Diplomacy is a better alternative (barring response to an attack), even when it fails. There is something to be said for the higher ground and sticking to it when possible. I am not at all surprised by the actions of the North Korean government. Thank God the ham was asked to leave and allowed to do so. It is a dicey situation for everybody over there.

If you think the op that was asked to go QRT had it bad, consider the soldiers that stare each other down at the North-South border. How soundly do you think they sleep? Or their families?

Lastly, I feel bad for those of you who wanted that P5 contact and were unable to get it......better luck with the next rare one, ok? Okay. If this was your LAST rare one....well, God Bless you, and all I can say is, damn, you're good!

Enough from me. Somebody else can get up on this soap box now.....

Happy Holidays, everyone, and 73.

2. kc5spr

kc5spr Ham Member QRZ Page

My father (WB6SMN) was a ham and it took me 20 years to become one I don't know where everyone gets the "No-code" General, or Extra from when you have to pass at least a 5-wpm test to get past "No-code" Tech and for someone like me who is has a hearing problem and is tone deaf that was not easy. Also I am not very technically minded so getting my General is not being very easy either. It is people like the "Old timers" that put down the new system that is making more people drop out of ham radio and causing less and less people to get in. It is starting to sound like "C.B." radio on the air now adays. Lets remember that Amatuer Radio is a changing field and always has been so instead of putting down the changes lets embrase them and use them to get more people into the hobby or pretty soon there won't be anybody on the air to talk to.

Phil/KC5SPR

3. YV6AZC

YV6AZC Ham Member QRZ Page

Of course, it’s a shame that P5 government has decided to shut off  this operation. The truth is that 4L4FN has not been the first and won’t be the last one in experiencing such a situation. I fully regret that this has happened, but in any event, I do not favor the use of despicable adjectives as a way to express my feelings about this. North Koreans have their rules, for sure I don’t like them, but that's another story. Perhaps in the next future things could be quite different as they actually are. In the meanwhile I'd like to congratulate 4L4FN on a well done job from P5 land.
    José

4. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kc5spr @ Dec. 01 2002,06:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My father (WB6SMN) was a ham and it took me 20 years to become one I don't know where everyone gets the "No-code" General, or Extra from when you have to pass at least a 5-wpm test to get past "No-code" Tech and for someone like me who is has a hearing problem and is tone deaf that was not easy. Also I am not very technically minded so getting my General is not being very easy either. It is people like the "Old timers" that put down the new system that is making more people drop out of ham radio and causing less and less people to get in. It is starting to sound like "C.B." radio on the air now adays. Lets remember that Amatuer Radio is a changing field and always has been so instead of putting down the changes lets embrase them and use them to get more people into the hobby or pretty soon there won't be anybody on the air to talk to.

Phil/KC5SPR[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Amen brother. It is your loss if you oldtimers refuse to acknowledge us "5 word a minute extras" !  We are the ones keeping the hobby  going. You never know who you might have missed out on meeting.

5. AF4K

AF4K Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kc5spr @ Dec. 01 2002,06:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My father (WB6SMN) was a ham and it took me 20 years to become one I don't know where everyone gets the "No-code" General, or Extra from when you have to pass at least a 5-wpm test to get past "No-code" Tech and for someone like me who is has a hearing problem and is tone deaf that was not easy. Also I am not very technically minded so getting my General is not being very easy either. It is people like the "Old timers" that put down the new system that is making more people drop out of ham radio and causing less and less people to get in. It is starting to sound like "C.B." radio on the air now adays. Lets remember that Amatuer Radio is a changing field and always has been so instead of putting down the changes lets embrase them and use them to get more people into the hobby or pretty soon there won't be anybody on the air to talk to.

Phil/KC5SPR[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Er... what does this have to do with the topic at hand? (The P5 operation)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My father (WB6SMN) was a ham and it took me 20 years to become one I don't know where everyone gets the "No-code" General, or Extra from when you have to pass at least a 5-wpm test to get past "No-code" Tech and for someone like me who is has a hearing problem and is tone deaf that was not easy. Also I am not very technically minded so getting my General is not being very easy either. It is people like the "Old timers" that put down the new system that is making more people drop out of ham radio and causing less and less people to get in. It is starting to sound like "C.B." radio on the air now adays. Lets remember that Amatuer Radio is a changing field and always has been so instead of putting down the changes lets embrase them and use them to get more people into the hobby or pretty soon there won't be anybody on the air to talk to.

Phil/KC5SPR

[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

6. K6KYJ

K6KYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am certainly not the most aggressive DXer around. Ed's signal has always been solid into Northern California for the past eight months and my thinking was that I would work him when the pileups lessened.

Recently, he was 59+20 on 15m RTTY and I decided it was time to put Ed in the log. No pileup and great condx.

I tuned up, set up the split and RTTY values, and waited for the next 'QRZ?'

My CPU locked up and I had to reboot. In 3 minutes, Ed was QRT for the day. Like the other honest gentleman who got ripped, I can truly say I didn't need a P5 QSL since I do not submit cards to the DXCC program. But I sure WANTED a P5 QSO. Guess it is going to be another long wait.

I learned a lesson from this, though, and am spending more time busting pileups early in the game and getting at least one QSO in the log.

Ron
    Chico CA

7. W5KRM

W5KRM Guest

I am sorry to hear that Ed couldn't have operated a bit longer/more, but I am glad he was "politely" asked to cease operations vs. the government coming down hard on him. Glld to know that Ed is safe and still in good graces. May make a world of difference down the road.

Politics do play a very important role in Amateur radio!

8. VK2IR

VK2IR Ham Member QRZ Page

It is very sad to see Ed leaving and only hope he gets a chance to set up again. I spoke with him from three different countries while he was in P5 .
    3D2IR,5W0IR,VK2IR Tommy [​IMG]

9. W9WHE

W9WHE Ham Member QRZ Page

You would think that a country starved for hard currency would figure out that they could earn a Go-zillion dollars by putting a station on the air and collecting $5 per QSL card.

Hummmmm....leme see.... 750,000 hams would want to have the card, at $5 a "pop", thats $3,750,000. NOW I ask you...how many starving North Koreans would that feed?

10. KC4ZGP

KC4ZGP Ham Member QRZ Page

VE7NGR,

You have got be a god-damned moron to think this situation is the worst to happen. No world turmoil
    ocurred.

11. K8YS

K8YS Guest

The PRK wants us, the USA to GIVE them food....

Perhaps a trade.... food for air time [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll donate some groceries for a valid QSL card.

12. KC4ZGP

KC4ZGP Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a funy one Radioman. I'm glad we have poor people. Who else could we laugh at

See Bumfights.com More using the poor.

Kraus

13. N0XAS

N0XAS Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (W9WHE @ Dec. 13 2002,17:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hummmmm....leme see.... 750,000 hams would want to have the card, at $5 a "pop", thats $3,750,000. NOW I ask you...how many starving North Koreans would that feed?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    My bet would be not a single one. It'd buy lots of ammo and maybe a few tons of Japanese electronics for the ruling class, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.