ad: MLSons-1

MFJ-1234 - RigPi Station Server Review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Dec 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. VA2PV

VA2PV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Dean, it all depends, if you have some Raspberry Pi experience it will be easy, but you don't need any Linux experience as the image come with a windows base GUI. It could be an adventure or a pretty close plug and play experience if learning is part of the fun for you it worth the try. 73 Pascal VA2PV

2. VA2PV

Hi Mark, thank you so much for taking the time writing this comment. My channel is all about promoting ham and my documentary shows to older hams how the Internet can save their hobby, glad you like it. I spent almost 100 of hours editing this video (mainly correcting my filming mistakes), I think focusing on the human story did the trick. Say "bonjour" to your wife, 73 Pascal VA2PV

WB5THT likes this.
  3. VA2PV

Hi Stephen, usually with most Internet provider you will get a public IP address. In some rare case (specially wireless provider) they will give you a private IP address that share a public address with many customers, making the port forwarding impossible. With the IPv4 addresses running out this could become more common, unfortunately. In your case the options are limited, maybe you can ask your provider for a public IP address directly to your home router or a public IP address in their central office that can be DMZ to your private address (allowing double NAT with port forwarding).

If all this is not possible, you can maybe look for a VPN (Virtual Private Network) from a VPN provider that has the ability to provide a public IP address via an L2TP VPN or some sort of proxy. The VPN can be initialized from your QTH to the provider and within the VPN tunnel you could get a public IP address from that provider, technically it's possible but I don't even know if this service (L2TP) exist. If you have some IP networking knowledge maybe you can do this yourself between you and a distant friend. For more information about networking, see my video below. 73 Pascal VA2PV

4. VA2PV

Most of them do, port forwarding is a basic feature, the real problem is when they don't provide a direct public IP, meaning that they are doing NAT in their CO (central office). See my previous post. 73 Pascal VA2PV

5. VA2PV

True this is possible, but most of the blocked port are related to known vulnerability (malware). Then, change the default ports in your software for one that is open, this is possible with the RigPi. If you have a business Internet access, usually all the ports are open (with some exceptions). There are ways to work around a blocked port, but nothing for an IP address that is already NATed. Who's your proxy provider? Maybe this could help others. 73 Pascal VA2PV

6. W9HBH

W9HBH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well my internet provide is Hughes Net (satellite up in the sky) service is also not that good, I am stuck with the router/receiver/modem unit they provide.
    Contact them about the issue and got a big fat no back.
    Its to prevent gammers from using up all of the satellite resources.
    The only way they could/would provide a static ip address was with a business account to a valid business address.
    Well guess what I live out in the country side with no valid business or business address, also the huge increases in service cost is not worth it.
    So I be getting rid of the Rigpi box soon can't use it for remote operation
    Steve W9HBH

7. VA2PV

Hi Steve, what's positive about your location is that you probably don't have any issues setting up multiple antennas, hihi. 73 and Merry Christmas to you and your family. 73 Pascal VA2PV

WD4ELG likes this.
  8. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Was your RigPi furnished with a decent printed operator's manual, with charts for connection to various modern tranceivers, and a detailed step by step instruction guide ?...

I am getting ready to simulate a RigPi from generic component parts: ie Raspberry Pi, 12 to 5 volt buck converter, USB sound card adaptor, and a frustrating assortment of splices, patch cables, head banging, hair pulling, YouTube videos and frequent reference to this thread...

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  9. KL7WG

KL7WG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

no, it came with very little/

10. N9AMI

N9AMI Ham Member QRZ Page

Its not very good at all compared to other remote setups like Remote Hams and WinforIcom that I run without issues. I spend hours with the MFJ and my Pi4, I have it working for all controls and local and internet but still can't get sound right so glad I only spend the money on the software to try as I figured using mumble for sound would have issues. I loaded other raspian software on my card and I think I am done with MFJ Remote.

11. NF7N

NF7N Ham Member QRZ Page

I am just beginning to read about the mfj 1234. It has a cw port but it make no sense to me. How do you use the cw port if you are 1000 miles from home with your cell phone? There is no way to key your phone.

12. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe it is text to Morris. You use the phones Keyboard. o_O