ad: Radclub22-1

Lightweight Power for QRP Portable Ops (Lab599 Cameo)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Aug 22, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

2. WB8LBZ/SK2023

WB8LBZ/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

Real fine Julian, just another day at the beach. Nice review.

73, Larry WB8LBZ
    El Paso, TX

AJ6KZ likes this.
  3. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

On the fence with this one considering the price. Might be fine for day trips but extended it doesn't cut down on the gear you need considering the charge rate solo.

4. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the great thing about Julian's reviews is that they generally happen in the field. And I don't mean going out and sitting on a park bench. He puts the equipment through the harsh conditions he normally operates in.

OLDARCHER, KK5R, US7IGN and 3 others like this.
  5. W6AKA

W6AKA Ham Member QRZ Page

What I tend to like about your videos, Julian, is that they're not usually straight reviews, but instead focus on actually doing something with gear. This LightSaver video's a good example.

A recurring theme across some of your videos is that you make custom cables now and again for different purposes, such as the custom audio i/o cable you made for the G90. I'd love to see you focus on some of the most useful custom cables you've made, and maybe do a little how-to on different cable types.

OLDARCHER, WD4ELG, N9EEE and 3 others like this.
  6. E25HXN

E25HXN Guest

It is awesome

7. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow! You managed to get hold of a Lab599? Congratulations! This is sure to become extremely popular, when (if) it becomes generally available.

One thing I would like to see, accepting that your videos take a lot of work anyway, is an assessment of RFI you might experience due to the solar PV. My own solar PV generally is fine, but it does depend on battery charge state, incident light on the panel (changing light in broken cloud conditions can lead to varying RFI), and the RF choking (or, more usually, not) of USB ports, etc. Seeing as one reason to go /P is to escape domestic-situation RFI, I suppose this kind of assessment would be at least of some interest to most of your viewers.

A real credit to the ham radio and review community.

8. K9JPT

K9JPT Ham Member QRZ Page

Onks sinun aitikieli Englantia tai Suomea? Kyllä sä osat aika sujuva Jenkki kieli.

9. KA1YBS

KA1YBS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Solar panel is cameo too, I did one of these videos about 8 or 9 years ago with a PowerFilm 20W and an FT817ND.

10. KK6QMS

KK6QMS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

$360 not a chance. Sheesh.

11. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, it seems pricey. But you have to remember it's three products in one: A battery, a solar panel and a charge controller. In addition it rolls up into a neat bundle. I'm sure someone could do better, but in my quick search for what I thought were three comparable components I hit $330. And none of that would be as compact once assembled.

By the way, I really like your web posts on portable operations. :)

OLDARCHER and K6MAA like this.
  12. K6MTS

K6MTS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Another great review, very interesting and useful product for portable qrp work, but it is somewhat pricey. Would love it if they made a bit smaller/lighter unit (they do make a much smaller one but just 5v).

OLDARCHER likes this.