ad: portazero-1

KS6P is now SK

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by W7EFS, Jun 10, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W7EFS

W7EFS Ham Member QRZ Page

Our FAA/FCC friend Kim Schmidt has now achieved SK status as of 06/03/2021, reported by the Rancho Cordova PD on 06/09/2021 in response to my well-being inquiry when he didn't take NCO as scheduled on the NorCal SkyWarn net.

Kim was a retired FAA Air Traffic Controller with extensive experience in Monterey Bay, CA. He was also an FCC "Amateur Extra" operator, as well as a designated FAA SkyWarn Net Control Operator, as am I.

Kim will be surely missed, yet well-remembered here.

N4FZ and KO4ESA like this.
  2. KB6LEE

KB6LEE Ham Member QRZ Page

I knew Kim only a short time, but he certainly made an impression. He could be a bit eccentric but usually had a kind heart. He also had an interesting history in radio, both amateur and commercial as an ATC. Looking forward to hear some others send their 73 to Kim.

I have a Q regarding his date of passing, though. The official date says 6/3/21, but I thought I heard him on the WinSystem Swap Net on Friday, 6/4/21. Am I mistaken?

KO4ESA likes this.
  3. WX1FLY

WX1FLY Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I talked to Kim a couple of times on the WIN system. I was a pilot for American Eagle during his tenure as an air traffic controller at Monterey (MRY) airport. I was flying in and out of there so often we figured we must have talked to each other a few times during that era. Godspeed.

KO4ESA likes this.
  4. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

Jerry, when was Kim ATC at MRY? I got a tour of the MRY tower in 1979, and I kinda remember the guys (I was a teenager, and it was a blast...they were a riot to watch and learn from).

WX1FLY likes this.
  5. WX1FLY

I don't know exactly but I was flying in and out of there during the 1990's and he was there then so he and I must have talked we figured (in ATC terms he worked my flight). I would fly in and out of there once or twice a week at least. Sometimes we would fly a couple of round trips between SFO and MRY in a day before ending up on an overnight layover in Monterey.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  6. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

Lots of fog in July and August in MRY, probably tougher to get clearance for landing with minimums than KSFO. Plus with the turn on final for 28L in between the "hills" can be...interesting. I went to the York School 78-79 right under where the planes make their turns on final. I loved sitting outside and eating my lunch while the planes came in for landing. Back then, there was on 28R. And the other runway was still open (07/25, if I remember correctly).

WX1FLY likes this.
  7. DJ0AJ

DJ0AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

KS6P rrespect fully vy73 djoaj ekrem

8. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

My Condolences.

I have not been able to find an obituary or death notice. Do you have a link please?

9. KB6LEE

KB6LEE Ham Member QRZ Page

Kim's Zed page is interesting. He was at MRY from 89 to 03 as NorCal Aprch. I don't think I spoke to him during my time flying little planes around the area during the time he was there, though. He was transferred to SAC in 03 and retired from there, but it doesn't say when. I haven't found an obit either.

10. WX1FLY

I monitor the WinSystem often and it was unusual for an hour to go by without hearing Kim. I haven't heard him or mention of him in weeks. Not a confirmation of course but just my observation.

11. W7EFS

{Fwd:}
    "Memorial service for
    Kim Richard Schmidt, KS6P

"To be held at the Riverside National Cemetery located at:
    22495 Van Buren Blvd
    Riverside, Ca 92518

"The memorial service is scheduled for this Friday August 6th at 1:15pm.

"Please check-in to the front visitors booth at 1:00pm for directions.

"My post on social media after Kim’s passing (please share):

"This past May 31st (Memorial Day) my best friend, Kim Schmidt, (KS6P) one who I considered a Brother, passed away in his sleep. To those who knew him, Kim was a very caring & giving person and like us all, had his struggles in life. I respected Kim in so many ways and I choose to remember all the great times we shared along with the life experiences we both learned together. I will miss Kim very much, and encourage you all to give a phone call to your family & friends, that you deeply care for and just maybe take for granted, because one day, they too might not be here. I miss you my Brother, and will see you again in heaven, when God feels it’s my time.

"73’s my Brother
    Greg (KD6FLT)"

12. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

13. K6JFE

K6JFE Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi All:
    There will be a memorial for Kim at Riverside National Cemetery on Friday, 8/6 @ 1:15pm if anyone would like to attend.
    73 de Jim, K6JFE

PS...I didn't see Greg's post.
    Apologies...

14. W7EFS

Some pictures from my collection of Kim. Redding 5-2017.JPG STS 12-6-17.jpg HPIM0625.JPG LVK 10-23-17.jpg

15. W7EFS

fyi, an annual fuel-tank inspection.

Attached Files: