Is 7O6T operation legitimate?

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions and Special Events' started by 4X1UN, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K7KB

K7KB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Although I can understand the frustration and resentment some might feel for what seems to be unfair, whenever you visit a host country, you are bound by their rules whether you like them or not. And yes, if a P5 operation came up and the operators were told by the North Korean government that they could not work any US stations, although I wouldn't' like it, I would accept it as just the way things are. I certainly wouldn't shake my finger at the ARRL telling them that the operation should be disallowed. That would be unfair to all those who could work the operation, and the operators who put their time and effort into the DX'pedition.

What we hope for is that someday our governments will change so that we will not have to worry about such nonsense. But until then, not expecting it in my lifetime, that's the way it is.

John K7KB

2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

While that may seem logical and reasonable, then the ARRL would have to "monitor" political squabbles between other countries across the world. Politics between should not hold hostage Amateur Radio, and it is up to each country to restrict their Amateurs as they see fit, (whether morally or ethically correct or not.) The alternative may be less than desirable; a country could simply revoke aall Amateur licenses and prohibit Amateur operations, as has apparently occurred in North Korea. WHO wins in such a situation? Certainly not the Amateurs in the country imposing the prohibition; they have to follow the rules of their own country.

In the past, when the U.S. and Viet Nam did not allow Amateur exchanges, how many operators throughout the world refused to contact U.S. operators, and how many refused to work VietNamese operators, and how many called for a boycvott of stations on either side?

IMHO, this is injecting a political issue INTO Amateur Radio. That's the ultimate insult.

3. KE7LRA

KE7LRA Ham Member QRZ Page

K2NCC doesn't represent the views of the state of Oregon, period.

4. ZS6AF

ZS6AF Ham Member QRZ Page

U can't make a contact wit 2Kw , a massive beam ?

Should i even try with 400 watts and a dipole , Come H*** or High water i will try , NO SLEEP before i work them ,

And if high water come i will evac to my repeater site at 2300Mtrs asl and continue with Icom 703 , long wire,portable battery pack and solar panel

85 Countries worked with dipoles only.

ZS6AF

5. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah they shuold but the federal government does not pay a great deal of attention to ARRL in matters of foreign policy nor do other governments. I think we are swinging at fences here since the list of restrictions by the FCC for US amateurs is very small, like none, and has not changed in decades.

6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

While I feel the alleged prohibition is unfair, politics is politics, even before it gets to repercussions that affect Amateur Radio. But I can't help but wonder if the Kingdom of Pottsylvaina were to allow a DXpedition, and prohibited the operators from contacting Amateurs in the Monarchy of Lower Slobova, would there be a call to ban, boycott, or invalidate all contacts from the DXpedition?

7. W0JOG

W0JOG Ham Member QRZ Page

"Apparently, the 7O6T team has received strict orders not to work 4X/4Z stations from Israel."

"Apparently" was the authority. Likely "they" was the source. Sort of like much in the news these days?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.