ad: Schulman-1

HR2.0 Episode 135: Comparing the Openspot and Nanospot Hotspots

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Apr 23, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't talk about the Jumbospot in this video because this video is titled "Comparing the Openspot and Nanospot". I do mention a few other hotspots in this video, some of which I have, but the video wasn't titled "Comparing ALL hotspots"

The Openspot is the most popular hotspot, to date. I wanted to compare it to the Nanospot, which adds a few more features, but isn't as easy to setup, in my opinion. This doesn't mean, in any way, that there are no other hotspots in the world today. There are lots, and I have reviewed many of them. Any other companies that want me to review theirs should contact me (2-3 already have)

73 and thanks for watching.

2. K6BRN

K6BRN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

After binging on "Lost in Space 2.0" I've decided to wait for "Ham Radio 3.0" to come out.

KC5HWB likes this.
  3. W5YZR

W5YZR Ham Member QRZ Page

Is there a scanner that will receive DMR traffic? And if so what type or model? Thanks Bob

4. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

5. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Some from both Whistler and Uniden receive DMR, yes. Analog, P25, DMR, and NXDN on some of their models.

W5YZR likes this.
  6. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When you buy a DumboSpot, you are buying stolen goods. They are a direct knock-off of an open-source project. They are not licensed for commercial reproduction.

7. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

If you don't have repeater / link anywhere near you these devices are a cool way to get into one or more of the DMR/DStar/Fusion/IRLP/Echolink systems.

G3SEA/KH6

KD5BVX likes this.
  8. W1LWT

W1LWT Ham Member QRZ Page

simply do a google search its not hard to understand...

9. W1LWT

W1LWT Ham Member QRZ Page

who cares its called experiment with it and find other better results of other products for the future...

10. W9JTC

W9JTC Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video. Keep up the good work!!!

11. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I am all for experimenting. But in this case you are effectively slapping the face of a few of your fellow hams. The ones that spent countless hours developing software (G4KLX) and hardware (KI6ZUM).

Lastly if you are not in radio range of a repeater, and contemplating one of these toys, may I suggest working with your local club(s) to deploy something (repeater, homebrew or otherwise) that can be utilized by a larger number of folks.

I mean if we are going to talk on $100-500 dollar radios 10's of feet into 10mW hotspots (~$150) that communicate over the internet maybe we should just use the Analog Bridge, and do this from an app on a phone like folks do with EchoLink.

KC5HWB likes this.
  12. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I couldn't agree more. Hams who want to use DMR should do what other hams have been doing since the 1960s....put up a freakin' repeater. Hotspots should be a SUPPLEMENT to the network, not the hardware you build the backbone on.

13. K7BMG

K7BMG QRZ Lifetime Member #55 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I have both The Open and Nano.
    Have used the Open a lot however besides unboxing to take a look at the Nano have never used the Nano.
    I am spoiled here in Northern Nevada as we have an awesome repeater systems and they cover every mode out their.
    So I honestly don't need to use a hot spot for anything other than fun. Considering selling one or the other.
    To me I guess the disappointing part of these units is the requirement to have the compatible radio for each mode.
    If the guys who develop the hot spots would/could develop a radio and hotspot unit that can be used on all modes now that would be a win win situation.
    I think there would be so many more hams if they did not have to spend what?? $700.00 on four radios and the hotspot if you buy the economy HT's.
    Yes I am aware the a couple modes are now cross compatible but not all.
    But that's my opinion and we all know how opinions go.

By all means bash away now, I can take it. 73 K7BMG

14. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

The hotspot units can do all the modes. The reasons I suspect those exist and the all digital mode HT to use with it doesn't are;
    The hotspots are low power (less than 10 mW), so they fall under Part 15 rules. They don't need any FCC tests before marketing approval/sale etc. To do it higher power, more filtering would need to be involved. Actually if you look at the hot spots on a spectrum analyzer they are dirty. I cringe when I read about people hooking their 'spots to external antennas and looking for low drive amplifiers.

There would have to be a front panel user interface for the radio, where you can set talkgroups/callsigns and other details. The hotspots are more passive devices, as they just transfer that kind of info from the received signal over the network.

15. N4LNE/SK2022

N4LNE/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello
    I looked at the price of the scanners and as you are a ham .so why not spend around 100 bucks and just buy an MD380 or MD390 and save a bunch of money