ad: portazero-1

Heads up for the Sussex Co., NJ hamfest, July 14.

Discussion in 'Hamfest and Convention Calendar' started by W1GUH, Jul 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W1GUH

W1GUH Ham Member QRZ Page

SCARC Hamfest

That's a really good one. It's big with lots of vendors, is in a very scenic place in the mountains of NJ, and camping overnight is very, very nice. Clean bathrooms, showers, the works.

The flyer says overnight camping is $25. The last time I was there, I believe in '11, the word was that the fairgrounds are primarily concerned with electricity use, especially RV's. That year, if you were tenting and not using electricity, you didn't get charged. <==get it? Dunno about this year, I'd guess it's the same. OTOH, that's not a bad price for nice camping, not to mention the jump you get on the buyers who show up the next day.

Oh, and you won't get arrested, or even noticed if you show up "like a vendor" but don't have anything to sell. You can always claim that you only had one thing for sale and that went immediately! <== What one of the guys there told me.

C'mon out!

Should this be in the Hamfest thread somewhere else?

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Have fun up there, Paul!

I've attended that "fest" several times when I used to live pretty near to it...it's been going on a long time.

Bring insect repellant. Maybe a lot of it.:p

3. W1GUH

Knocking on wood...last time bugs weren't a problem. Sat outside & worked some sort of DX contest with the mobile. I was camped next to a great couple whom I'd gotten to know. After they went in their tent, I used headphones. The next morning Bob complained - he wanted me to turn it UP! Worked a bunch of E. Europeans.

And one of the guys from the club helped me out a LOT when he showed me an easy way to get the power cable from the battery to the inside of the car without it hanging outside. His method was easy - just push it down between a couple of body panels and that's it!

4. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I go every year. I'll be there.

K2WH

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Bill, the Splitrock ARA in Morris County (SARA, of which I was president for a few years in the early 80s) also used to do their own "hamfest" back then, which included an "auction" rather than a swap meet. It was pretty successful for a while.

Is that still going on??

6. W1GUH

That's Great! I can pick up the transmitters then, how perfect.

Looking forward to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.