ad: Flexradio-1

Hams mobilize to find missing girls.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N8ARY, Aug 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NT4XT

NT4XT Guest

Star Wars is fiction?
    No Way!
    Queen Padme is gonna answer my letters anyday now, and we're going to go have a couple root-beer floats.  Margaritas, frozen if preferred.

I mean, I knew better than to ask Santa for a Light Saber, a gentleman on another CW debate forum did inform me once, that you had to make your own light saber.  So I didn't go asking him for one of those.

Don't go trying to make me think I'm crazy by stating that there is no Blue Adept, either.

I've learned much from Stile.  I'm sure you have no idea, given your comments, you don't much care for horses...

I concede, Star Wars IS NOT FICTION.
    It is Science Fiction, and there is a difference.

Very much of what was once aptly written off as Science Fiction as short as 100 to 50 to 20 years ago, is now plainly reality.

Cheers to you, Mr. - - ASS. I beg your pardon-

Mr. Ass, Sir.

[​IMG]  [​IMG]  [​IMG]

2. AG4AC

AG4AC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Chris,
    Changed your call from KD7RHE to N0ASS. Interesting change there. So you got bored aggravating folks about the US Packet Network and decided to stir it up over here. Hmmm. I really do think you must have been an officer in the Navy, and I'm starting to believe you must have been in Supply. Chris, your distorted views are really interesting, and I find it hard to believe a person with your background could have such a narrow view of Amateur Radio. I'm starting to believe that you just like to stir it up. So, I'm not going to take anything you have to say seriously any more because you appear to be the biggest joke here at QRZ. Guys, meet Chris Gabrielson... He claims to be retired Navy and somehow thinks because he's a tech class with about 3 months experience in the hobby he knows it all. I'd personally like to read his DD214 and see just what he did in the Navy because with an attitude like his, it couldn't have been very important. Anyhow, I suggest folks in the discussion don't take him too seriously because his views on other issues and facts have been somewhat "distorted" to put it nicely. Now Chris, if you were intending to stir some stuff up, pat yourself on the back and go enjoy instigating somewhere else like AOL. I'll add my congrats to the HAMs for a well conducted operation and my thankfulness that the children were found safely. 73 to all (you too Chris). Keith.
    [​IMG]

3. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (AG4AC @ Aug. 23 2002,21:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi Chris,
               Changed your call from KD7RHE to N0ASS.  Interesting change there.  So you got bored aggravating folks about the US Packet Network and decided to stir it up over here.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Thanks to guys like CHris, these forums remain interesting. Maybe we should thank him.

4. AG4AC

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (n8ary @ Aug. 25 2002,08:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Thanks to guys like CHris, these forums remain interesting. Maybe we should thank him.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You have a point. Entertainment factor has to be included too. I just hate to see some of the newer folks in the hobby take him seriously. This is a fun hobby and there is some public serviceinvolved for some of us from time to time. And I don't want the neophytes to think we all can't be of some service to the local communities and have fun some too. Anyhow, y'all have a good time. 73.

5. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

At first, I was a little reluctant about ham participation in Amber Alerts, but now, I see this as a potentially valuable ARES/RACES activity, one that should be anticipated with training and advance coordination with professional agencies.

There are a large number of hams who are home in the daytime, who could respond quickly in one of these scenarios. When an AMBER alert is issued in the daytime, how many of our senior members could we mobilize?

Thanks to those who volunteered in this instance - well done. Also, did I misread the story, or were the children found by a neighbor, not the professionals that N0HEAD is emoting over? When a child is missing, I think everyone in the community has a stake in trying to prevent a tragedy.

6. NT4XT

NT4XT Guest

I think we should consider ourselves fortunate for guys like "Chris" who help to establish platforms within forums such as this, opening the door for possibilities of entertainment as well as provolking thought.

If not for N0ASS, I'd have not much else to say!

Thanks Chris.

I hope everyone realizes my statements are made in good fun, and are merely expressing an opinion.

73 to all.

7. AG4AC

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (W3DCG @ Aug. 28 2002,11:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I hope everyone realizes my statements are made in good fun, and are merely expressing an opinion.

73 to all.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Last time I checked, I thought opinions were what this was all about. I've enjoyed following this thread. 73 to all. Keith.

8. KD6EFV

KD6EFV Ham Member QRZ Page

I’m a member of the local ARES group, so this story got my attention. Now, here is my humble opinion.

Maybe the prefix to Chris Gabrielson’s call sign would be more appropriate as “N1” but he makes two good points:
    1. He writes. “…untrained hams getting involved with anything that even remotely resembles an emergency. They always end up a day late and a dollar short because they simply don't have any training what so ever in anything to do with emergency services…”

2. He further writes, “..again…emergency was solved by the professionals who were actually trained to preform the job. In this case the Police dept.”

We need to read something from the Grand Haven PD and the Ottawa County authorities stating whether or not these hams were helpful. Andrew Young doesn’t say they were helpful in finding the lost girls but he intimates that they comforted the parents and that ain’t bad. Young says further that the Ottawa County Search and Rescue team was on the way shortly after the net became formalized. Does that mean the net mobilized the team? I don’t know.

I can only conclude that hams could be helpful during an Amber Alert situation if properly trained. What is proper training - you ask? Refer to the next paragraph.

First, there is a need for some training in emergency procedures to be effective. The hams would have to work under the control of the police or county search and rescue groups. Otherwise they could get in the way and cause more problems.

Secondly, the professionals such as the police are the ones to actually do the work of finding the missing, it’s not the hams’ job. Hams can perform secondary communications of non-critical messages; remember a child abductor could be listening on a scanner or a handheld.

To N8ARY, N3WJF, N8HCS, KB8ODB, N8YQD, and the other five un-named hams; I hope you have had enough training beforehand to help but not hinder the operation. Get as much training as you can, you all are a credit to your community.

Thanks, Andrew, for the good story.
    Al, KD6EFV

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.