ad: elecraft

Ham Radio - The Malahit DSP portable SDR receiver.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Apr 12, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W4EGE

W4EGE Ham Member QRZ Page

Here are a few links:

This explains how it works (PA0RDT was the original developer): http://www.pa3fwm.nl/technotes/tn07.html

There are many links on Ebay and amazon for complete ready to hang kits. I opted for a DIY kit from amazon: https://www.amazon.com/10KHz-30MHz-...ld=1&keywords=mini+whip&qid=1618853030&sr=8-4

The amazon link above comes with two warnings: 1) there are no instructions, so you better be handy with rosin and solder 2) if you connected the injector backwards you can mess up the injector...be mindful with the direction. Consult my photos above for correct orientation. Ive used the mini-whip mostly un-grounded so far. Im certain that using it as directed the performance is/will be stellar as its already very good with no ground. A large metal slug may be enough of a ground I've observed.

KK6QMS likes this.
  2. K2STP

K2STP Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting "rig up" you have there.... Is there a specific length required for the feed cable between the bias t and the antenna module?

3. KI5ONL

KI5ONL Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for posting. DRM for HF broadcasts would have been nice. As far as VHF and UHF goes there is very little non-digital voice being used, at least where I live. I would still have to use my PC to decode most transmissions. For that price something by SDRplay might be a better value. I can plug in my laptop or tablet and decode almost anything that is not digitally encrypted. I can also use a scheduler to ensure an IQ recording can be made of the spectrum or frequency in question. An SDRplay and a Pi would work as well. This device only has 160 kHz available to it which would limit any serious monitoring. It would be fun camping, going to races etc.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  4. W4EGE

W4EGE Ham Member QRZ Page

I did not use a specific length. I made mine VERY SHORT so i could have a stand alone set up. The whole rig (both radios, the antenna and speakers) are fueled by a usb power pack.
    I'm unsure if the injector needs to be close to the antenna or if that can be installed in the shack. that info might be in one of the links i posted.

5. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

maybe you're not having a crime wave?