Ham Radio Myths

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7RKY, Nov 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. WB9ECK

WB9ECK Ham Member QRZ Page

My absolute favorite!

Someone is on the 75 meter band and says: "I'm going down to 160". 160 is UP from 75 and not down. The terms wavelength and frequency are Not interchangeable! They are inversely proportional. As frequency goes up, wavelength goes down and vice versa. Very simple. This question was on my novice test in 1970.

You could be on 3900 khz and say I'm going Down to 1900 khz but not say I'm going down to 160. Wavelength is the distance a radio wave will travel, completing a single cycle in one second and not a Nickname for the frequency or band. Ham radio has as many or more slang terms as CB "Good Buddy!".

All we had to eat was bologna sandwiches...and that was good enough!

2. K6SGH

K6SGH Ham Member QRZ Page

I would like them to prove that RF travels downhill faster than uphill.

3. K4WDE

K4WDE Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations. You've managed to convert the thread to
    code/no-code hate, and you're the very first reply. My
    hat is off to you. Such speed and determination!

4. KB2VXA

KB2VXA Ham Member QRZ Page

"All we had to eat was bologna sandwiches...and that was good enough!"

Are you sure that yellow stuff was mustard? [​IMG]

5. KE5GNB

KE5GNB Ham Member QRZ Page

this sounds like one of those 90 year old hams that are griping because the 900 megaherts was given to cell phones !!! wake up and get with the program!!!!..._._..__ is going away to a point. not everybody wants to talk in morse,and the people who do most of them use a computer to do i!!! you evidently do, and you probbaly use it to do your morse code. therefore why does it matter if I can pick out ...--..-...---- at 30wpm 10 wpm or any wpm? the millatary dosent really use it anymore with sattelites and the encryption they have. so what is the piont of morse other than allowing the generals and the extras to thumb their noses at the tech's?and you call yourself a real ham. ha!!! you are going to lose your radio if we dont get some more people interested in ham radio!!!! that includes your precious cw!!! think about it. i dont think cw has any basis on intellegence, cw has has everything to do with want to!!! and i know several hams who just dont want to. and one of those hams has been in the radio buisness for 20 years!!!! [​IMG] ok got my gripe out so i will shut up [​IMG]

6. K4JF

K4JF Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, another (new) myth. Although CW is the only mode understood by both humans and computers, computers are quite limited in that mode, and rarely used.

7. K4IA

K4IA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How about the myth that a tower will fall over onto a neighbor's property vs. the myth that a tower falling collapses almost straight down. One example could be a free standing tower and another a guyed tower. Both would be stressed by sideways force (wind) or twisting.

Falling over by pivoting on the bottom is what one would think intuitively would happen but "tower experts" say it will collapse straight down.

There are lots of other ham radio related myths: SWR, ground rod length, the need for a balun etc., but I doubt the public would much care and the proof would not be nearly so dramatic as watching a tower fall.

8. W9JI

W9JI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. KY5U

KY5U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Call: KE5GNB Class: Technician

10. 4S7RO

4S7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you tell me of a CW program that actually copies CW better than say Digipan or any of those others out there? No gibberish on the screen, but pure CW characters that I can copy.

73 de Ron, 6Y5/4S7RO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.