ad: Radclub22-1

Ham Radio Myths

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7RKY, Nov 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KB7RKY

KB7RKY Ham Member QRZ Page

Greetings, fellow Amateurs!

What is an interesting Ham Radio Myth you've heard of, had related to you, or that you've experienced yourself, and wondered if the Mythbusters could tackle it to see if it was possible?

I'm a member/administrator of the Mythbusters Fan Club ( http://www.mythbustersfanclub.com ), and, though we are not officially part of the show, we post ideas and discussions about the myths that Adam and Jamie test in a friendly and civil discussion format...even going so far as to design our own myths, complete with information, testing criteria, and a testing setup.

Also, please keep in mind our fan club is not an official site of the Mythbusters TV show...it is a privately-owned and fan-supported website.

Here's your chance to bring to light some of those nagging Ham Radio Myths you may have heard of...and who knows?

Thanks for your co-operation, and thanks to Fred, AA7BQ, for allowing me to post this message here.

73's:

Doug, KB7RKY
    Administrator, Mythbusters Fan Club.com

2. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

MYTH:
    The learning & regular use of Morse Code always produces a better quality, more intelligent, more mannerly, and just all around better operator. Hence the term "REAL HAM" which is another myth.

3. KE5FRF

KE5FRF Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] APPLAUSE [​IMG]

4. N2NH

N2NH Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been hearing about LDEs (Long Delayed Echos) on the Ham bands for decades and always found them fascinating (as you might have noticed). I don't know if they would have a way to prove/disprove them, but I think it would be very interesting to look into this phenomena that has been around as long as radio has.

5. NY7Q

NY7Q Guest

"The learning & regular use of Morse Code always produces a better quality, more intelligent, more mannerly, and just all around better operator. Hence the term "REAL HAM" which is another myth"

Actually, this is the truth, time and time throughout history of electronics and ham radio, has shown this to be very very true.

"the real ham is an all around CW and electronics person."

6. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately the MythBusters can only deal in absolutes [​IMG]

7. N7WEJ

N7WEJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The REAL HAM doesnt have to say he is...

8. W7TUX

W7TUX Ham Member QRZ Page

And this is part of the problem in this hobby today. It must be so inspiring to be so high as to be able to look down on the rest of the world.  Have another beer.

9. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

"It ain't bragging if you can do it!"
    Ozzie Smith #1 - Retired Shortstop St. Louis Cardinals

10. WD8OQX

WD8OQX Ham Member QRZ Page

I would like to see it confirmed that a radio wave, given the right conditions, can travel full circle around the earth. [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. K1MVP

K1MVP Ham Member QRZ Page

Here we go again,--another comment from a NCT who
    is ready, willing and able to REDEFINE what ham
    radio IS or IS NOT.
    At least there ARE some NCT`s who ARE "good"
    and not so "bold".
                            73, K1MVP

12. AB9LZ

AB9LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

<<Why did I know that a lazy ass, no code LID, would make the first comment.

Biggest myth of all, "I can't learn morse code.">>

I agree, we've all had to learn the tenets of the English language (although after hearing the folks on 75m, I wonder...) and the rules of Math, code is trivial by comparison. In fact, my eight year old could decode whose name in the family was being sent after a few minutes of instruction... and he has no interest in radio (yet), we were just playing a game.
    QSO's with cw require a little more patience, effort and time, hence the operators that practice this mode usually have a little more respect for their fellow hams, at least from my personal experience.

regards from a professional coder, c++ that is...

13. n0zu

n0zu Ham Member QRZ Page

Is that why most of them on the Hf bands do not know good amatuer practice.

When they use voice, They use cuss words do not id ever 10 mins
    and other things

YUP that's is more intelligent

14. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

"(Insert beer company name here) the proud sponsor of drunken tirades on (insert band here)"

15. W8ZNX

W8ZNX Ham Member QRZ Page

myth

that droping code requirement for hf privileges
    will save amateur radio

myth

that amateur radio needs saving

myth

that all old time ops on 75 fone are drunks

de mac

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.