ad: M2Ant-1

Ham Radio - Looking at the MX-P50M HF amplifier for QRP radios.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Jun 18, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N5JXO

N5JXO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The 120 Watts spec'ed is with 28 VDC Power. As you have 12 or 13 Volts it will be about a 60 Watt PA Chip. So you are closer to full power than you are assuming.

2. WP2ASS

WP2ASS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Honestly, it's more like 15 to 20 watts.

When you double supply voltage, output quadruples. Half supply voltage is the opposite. You divide output by 4.

Which is telling on why people keep blowing the thing up.

--Shane
    KD6VXI

3. HB9PJT

HB9PJT Ham Member QRZ Page

4. WP2ASS

WP2ASS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

11.1v /4 = 2.77v
    11.1v+2.77v=13.8v

That's going to be a 1.5 gain multiplication.

Double collector or drain voltage would be quadruple the output. A 50 pct increase in drain or collector voltage is double power output. A 25 pct increase in collector or drain voltage would be an increase of 50 pct.

Which would be 42 watts at 13.8v vs 28 at 11.1. 28w x 1.5 = 42.

So, honestly I was pretty spot on.

What was it you thought honestly meant?

--Shane
    KD6VXI

5. N9AEP

N9AEP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I attended a talk by Daniel Pink. in it he asked us what business had more locations than all the fast food places he listed. We did not know. He told us his research revealed there were more storage units than anything else. Then he asked who in the audience had a storage area. Most hands went up. Then he asked the people what they had in their storage unit. People said "stuff". Along with bikes, boxes, clothes, grandma's furniture and trinkets and so on. Then he said Americans have more "stuff" than most people anywhere in the world.

6. KF2YD

KF2YD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi James,

Motorola is no longer manufacturing the MRF186 but the Chinese have been making counterfeit ones that are most likely poorly made and inferior compared to authentic Motorola part.

I would recommend staying away from this one.

$_32.JPG

7. KI7AJA

KI7AJA Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you buy the transistor through eBay or something? All of the replacement MRF186s I’ve seen seem to be pretty sketchy. I bought an MX-P50m recently and I’m pretty sure I blew the final, where did you pick up your replacement?