ad: elecraft

FT8 – Tipping Point for Ham Radio?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KD5FGE, Nov 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K0IP

K0IP Ham Member QRZ Page

Dear Phil , if you feel it rude that my computer doesn't tell your computer 73, sorry!! might i suggest you contact someone that cares. good grief charlie brown.

K3EY likes this.
  2. WE9M

WE9M Ham Member QRZ Page

At the end of the day its their radios and their time. If they want FT8 then let them have it. Or if they are doing it to fill in their WAS (Z or any other letter) then so be it and once their done they will move on. There are always going to be the people that like to drive cross country and then a different group that likes the 1/4th mile as fast as they can. Personally I use FT8 as a tool like the ping command. I need a quick test to see if I'm getting out, my antenna latest antenna change is better or worse I use FT8 as there is always someone on it and mix in a little pskreporter and it gives me a good idea. Past that I will try my hand at QRP psk31 or my personal favorite right now is js8call that is like a conversation ft8 so I get the same weak signal advantages but get to know the ham on the other end.

As far as the death or savior of ham radio it makes me laugh. Its not one or the other its just a thing people are using now. I have been through enough things that are going to be the death/savior of X activity to know that in a few years it will be a joke. "Remember that time we thought FT8 was the end. Man we were wrong, NEW_MODE is the real death of ham radio!"

3. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

No, it's not. It's about radio, not communication. If all you want to do is communicate, I suggest CB.

4. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't radios facilitate "communication" (if they're powered on)? Still a hobby for some. One of mine and not the only one.

5. K3ZL

K3ZL Ham Member QRZ Page

I am smoking more and enjoying it less.

6. K7LRC

K7LRC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm a relatively new extra ticket HAM of only two years. New to the game, but an old HAM at heart, and pushing 60. I enjoy operating the boat anchors as well as the new gear. I've read many of the pro's and con's with respect to FT8. I hear the somewhat negative views by the experienced and respected old- timers, as well as the younger HAMs that enjoy FT8. I ask - why be so negative when we can breath some new life into this great hobby and involve younger folks in something that could fade away if not made more current? Let's not forget the current poor propagation we're experiencing. FT8 makes weak signal contacts possible even in these difficult conditions. Use this as a tool as needed!

I say all of this with the utmost respect and after resisting 'trying' FT8. About a year ago I took the plunge and I must say, in moderation, FT8 can be fun and challenging. With a proper mix of Phone and CW mixed in, this wonderful hobby can still be a great thing for all. I wonder, since I'm a newbie, did JT-65 and other digital modes get a bad wrap initially too?!

Peace.

N0NEV likes this.
  7. CT7ANG

CT7ANG Ham Member QRZ Page

FT8 keeps me on the bands as there is more DX at the moment than SSB and CW. I wonder if P5 would encourage the FT8 sceptic's if they were to come on the bands like other Dx-perditions have done lately. In 2000 I nearly sold my all my HF gear because of DQRM on SSB and CW etc. I was encouraged to go on the data mode's and give it a try before selling up. 18 yrs later I am still on the bands using 99% data (FT8) and having great fun and working DX.

FT8 is like "Marmite" you either love it or hate it. Get over it guy's FT8 is here and its a very successful mode. Ohh, and I do love Marmite as well;)

N0NEV and WU8Y like this.
  8. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, they were viciously bashed by the Luddites, with many of the exact same "concerns."

N0NEV likes this.
  9. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

474 posts.

Any bets on whether we'll reach that "tipping point" mentioned in the thread title by the time we get to 500 ?

10. K7LRC

K7LRC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well said!

11. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

How much do you tip? 15% 18% 20%??

12. W4MHZ

W4MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

"Luddites" ... This name calling is not in the spirit of HAM radio. People disagree with each other. They don't need to call each other names to do that. More than that is just shuts down the conversation and makes one look like an ass. It does not make one's point. I figure if I would not say it to your face, I probably am better off not saying it to you on line either.

That said, I don't use the new digital modes but it is because I am a Computer Scientist and get exposure to all the tech I want in that venue. I am not against those modes. I am concerned that we have "dumbed" down the licensing requirements to a point where HAM radio operators really aren't a repository for knowledge about communications as they once were. I am saddened that no current license class has any code requirement. As has been mentioned elsewhere, it may not be quite as reliable as the new weak signal modes but it is the most reliable such mode that you can carry to the field and operate with on a 9 volt battery all afternoon. Sure, one day it will all be on a chip and all you will have to do is flip a switch and that really will be the death of HAM radio (at least as we know it).

13. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

Of course people do not want Human interaction because that causes issues & computers have not been programmed to argue. They will still be logging contacts years after the human race is gone away. I think if a computer is permitted to make contacts then it should be required to have a license & it's own call sign. They will work unattended & it happens often enough that it shows up on the Cluster from time to time & sometimes on a band the so called Control Operator was not even aware of.

Clayton
    W4KVW

14. WA4BCS

WA4BCS Ham Member QRZ Page

What a crock!!!

15. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Wowsers... now that's really out there :eek:

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.