ad: M2Ant-1

eQSL.cc issues first eDX100 award(DXCC equivalent)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N5UP, Sep 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. N7TM

N7TM Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with several posters who argue that eDX100 is harder than DXCC. I have worked DXCC on nearly every HF band and over 300 different countries. Over the past couple of years, I have regularly uploaded my log to eQsl. Every QSO I've had in the last 15 years is in the database. You'd think that I'd easily qualify for eDX100 but that isn't the case at all. The return QSL rate from eQSL is dismally poor; far worse than QSL'ing through the bureau. Here are some stats from eQSL. I've "sent" 3621 eQSLs. I've received back 220 eQSLs. That's a return rate of 6%. Surprisingly, of the 3621 eQSLs I've sent, 564 have been sent to members. You'd think with the automatic electronic qsl system in place, I'd at least receive an eQSL from those 564 members, yet I've only received a paltry 220 qsls. Even electronically among members, the return qsl rate is less than 50%. Again, that is worse than qsl'ing through the bureau. I can only conclude that while the eQSL system is a great implementation, people that are lousy return QSL'ers are not any better, even when helped by electronic means.

2. N4NDR

N4NDR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Getting a card from a dx 59 goodbye pileup is a worthless effort for me and not a real QSO.. All of the Eqsl cards I have recieved involve effort on the part of the other operator and not just a label on a card via the bureau. I am not a member of the ARRL and do not choose to be just to use the BURO. To send via the mail would cost me all of my retirement peso's and with only a 33% return rate is not cost effective. Since my only alternative was Eqsl I have enjoyed the verification of a contact that it offers, and when I finally get a DXCC or WAS certificate, I will be proud of it. If more hams would read the QRZ info on a person, they might just find out that alot of us do not use the BURO and to auto-send a card will not get to us. I say to each his own.. Why cut down anothers method of verification. God bless us one and all.

3. V73GOD

V73GOD Ham Member QRZ Page

Better watch out because a whole country of hams might just decide that eQSL is the only way they'll acknowledge. On my next trip to KH3 or KH9, that's the only way I'll confirm. IT'S THE CONTACT FELLOWS NOT THE CARD!!

4. ZL3JT

ZL3JT Ham Member QRZ Page

de Jungle Telegraph...
    Congrats to Dov for his fine achievement! I'm finding it pretty tough trying to get the eqsl.cc awards. I even emailed "AG" guys that I've logged....FEW have replied!
    Apathy with confirmations in this hobby is alive and well!
    I've uploaded 10000+ eqsls for QSOs not confirmed by other methods, and have a measly 10% return....EDX100 is a tough task....not to mention EWAS!
    Costs of postages from New Zealand are horrific. We pay
    $3-75 for an IRC....You need a big mortgage to 'do DXCC' by direct mail.
    I can imagine the furore if Ed, P5/4L4FN only EQSLed!
    VK0MM did that until all you knockers were 'rescued' by
    VK4AAR, his manager...
    Come to think of 'Managers'....aren't they exactly the
    same catergory as EQSL?...except for the costs? The 'margins' have reduced considerably in recent times.
    I wouldn't do it...there's no 'money' in it now... Hi!
    In closing...c'mon you guys! RETURN your qsls, no matter
    which way they are sent.....Before I got this computer, I
    got 6 qsls from an Italian Station for the same QSO! No doubt he has 6 of mine in return? Get real guys and advance with the times...
    ZL3JT

5. KE4VCS

KE4VCS Ham Member QRZ Page

An eQSL is NOT a real qsl.

An eQSL award is NOT a real award.

eQSL is NOT a real option.

Just like "Echolink" and the like is NOT real radio.

My opinion. Screw you if you don't like it.

6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

No, I don't think the ARRL controls "ALL" of Amateur Radio. They DO issue the DXCC certificates, so they get to set the rules. But only the rules for DXCC. If CQ Magazine issues certificates, THEY set the rules. (Not ARRL or anyone else.) And if eQSL issues certificates, eQSL sets the rules. (Not ARRL or anyone else.) At this time, the ARRL chooses not to honor electronic QSL's. (OH MYGOSH! I used a CW "Q" code! A Mortal Sin! I really meant "Contact Confirmation Card." L O L ! ) That is their right. Eventually they will probably change.
    To me, it's the contact that counts. I don't chase cards, but I will send a card if I receive one, and if a SASE is included, I'll probably send an extra stamp back with my card. If I want a card, say for a special satellite contact, or some special contact, I always provide return postage. But at $1.75 for an IRC, and some stations requesting TWO IRC's, the cost can run up quite fast.

Those that like eQSL think it's good. Those that don't like it don't think it's good. I may join it, but then again I don't chase cards. If I get an eQSL that's great. If not, I don't really care either. It's the contact that counts, and THAT is in my log book, QSL or not. (I don't feel I have to prove anything to anyone but myself.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.