ad: CQMM-1

Development to continue on HRD....

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6R, Sep 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W4ABC

W4ABC Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's the best advice anyone can give you coming into this new adventure, Richard:

“I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.” - Bill Cosby

Jon Pearl - W4ABC
    www.w4abc.com

2. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

I love your call, WABC ;) One of the best rock stations on the planet.

I've been doing the ham biz for 15 years now.. no worries. I know we'll have people that want to buy and some that wont. No one is under any obligation to buy anything from anyone.. thats why I dont get some of the comments.

I mean, I want a used working Ft-100 for $100, but it aint gonna happen! LOL

3. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Windfall? Can I ask you what you do for a living?

If someone spends countless hours developing a product, then hands it out for free for many years (Which Simon and others did with HRD), then sells the right to that product you call that a windfall? :rolleyes:

A windfall is when someone buys one lottery ticket and wins a million dollars. Or has a rich long lost Uncle that passes away and leaves them money.

I worked 28 years for Ford Motor Company. My plant went to one shift and the company bought out the senior employees with a cash buyout, and gave us our pension. I suppose you think that is also a windfall?

Some hams are so cheap it is pathetic. You spend money on radios, amps, mikes, antennas, coax, meters etc etc. And yet you expect to get some great software for free after someone pays for the rights to that software. Give me a break.

If you do not want to pay for it then don't buy it. Use the free version until it no longer works then use something else, or operate without software for your radio and give up digital modes and computer logging.

4. W5MDC

W5MDC Ham Member QRZ Page

bottom line Simon has to eat also.....
    hdr is a great program an i use it and it will do a lot more than i use
    will keep useing it as long as i can
    hope the fellows that own it now dont try to get to rich selling it, i like to see maybe 50-60 $ for the program

5. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

The average price for my programs has always been about $70. We havent even discussed the pricing (if there is to be pricing) after the FREE 5.1.

I've never made a profit off of ham stuff, but whats wrong with getting rich off of fellow hams? Just means we'd be able to hire more hams for QA, support, development etc. Id love to have a software company with 100 HAM employees and everyone could telecommute and pay them a decent salary.

If I was so rich, why am I on a contact job now? The answer, when it's over in a few weeks I can fund HRD development.

Everyone complains about Bill Gates and his money, but so what? He created a company with over 70,000 employees worldwide and they arent laying off anyone..

All the big radio companies have downsized in the past few years. They also now have the support guys splitting the time between ham and commerical.

6. AH6RR

AH6RR Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been using HRD since 2003 and have supported it off and on since then when I can afford it. I will continue to use it even if it cost money because I have tried the other "Free and Pay For" programs and none are as good IMHO. I only hope that the price is not too high since I have been mostly unemployed for the past 3 years I am having a hard time working due to my Polycystic Kidney Disease and I am too young to collect SS and I am not educated enough for a desk job if there was any here. I would be willing to pay $45-50 for a version that has only the Rig Control, Logbook and DM780 and free updates for 3 years since I only use them anyway. I am a avid DX'er and do some contesting (I use N1MM for contesting though because the HRD Logbook's contest part leaves a Lot to be Desired ( maybe something the new owners can fix or integrate N1MM and HRD )). And all you guys that a whining and moaning about they will have to pay now did you get your radios, antenna's, towers amps ect FREE??? I think not so why bitch about paying for a program that is less money than a Watt Meter or 100 feet of good coax!!! I for one am glad that some new blood is taking over HRD since Simon has put it on the back burner for some time now. I do thank Simon for creating the Best Ham Program ever compiled into one package EVER. And if the new owners want someone to do any beta testing I will gladly do it.

73 and Gud DX
    de AH6RR

7. AH6RR

AH6RR Ham Member QRZ Page

I will support HRD

I have been using HRD since 2003 and off and on donated to Simon. I have tried all the other freeware programs and most are too clunky to even try to use. I have even bought some programs and regret doing so because they are either too complicated or just do not work worth a dang. I will gladly pay $45-50 for a version of HRD that only had Rig control, Logbook and DM780 since that is all I use (I also use HRD Label by IW1QLH). I am a avid DX'er and do a few contests (I use N1MM for contests because HRD Logbook leaves a lot to be desired for contesting hint hint). All you guys complaining about having to buy HRD did you ever donate anything to Simon? Did you get all your equipment free? If so then ok gripe but if not then why gripe about a great software package that will cost less than a 100 foot piece of good coax. I will gladly do any beta testing for the new owners if they need someone who has used HRD almost since it started.

73 and Gud DX
    Roland AH6RR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.