ad: Alphaant-1

Dayton, anybody?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by DocRF, May 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. DocRF

DocRF Banned

We have critical mass.  It's time.  There ought to be a public showing of QRZ users at Dayton.  We could get together and finally talk face-to-face about those things that REALLY get us going.

Where should it be?  When?

Doc

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">
    I have no idea who 'DocRF' is however he does have a good point.  At least two of the QRZ editors will be at Dayton, roving and mingling in the crowd.  Although I won't be making it this year, I do hope to attend next year with a QRZ Booth!

Have fun!

-fred  AA7BQ
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

2. N8EMR

N8EMR Ham Member QRZ Page

Ill be there.

Look for a fat balding guy with a couple of radio's on his belt, that will be me!! [​IMG]

3. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (n8emr @ May 16 2002,09:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ill be there.

Look for a fat balding guy with a couple of radio's on his belt, that will be me!!  [​IMG][/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Look for the fat bald guy, my god, that descibes 50 of te hams at Dayton!!!  But not me, got a full head of hair!
    73 and enjoy!
    John, WA3G

4. N8PCA

N8PCA Ham Member QRZ Page

Never been there!!

5. KE4PJW

KE4PJW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Come on by and say Hi! [​IMG]
    We are in the boneyard @ 3559-3561
    --- Terry

6. N8YV

N8YV Guest

[​IMG] Might be better not having too many known QRZ users in one place, at one time. Talk about "critical mass"!! Judging from all the bad blood between some of the users that post regularly on this site, you might need to supply a canvas ring and a referee, should any two or more encounter each other! [​IMG]

7. N8YV

N8YV Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MattBeers @ May 20 2002,20:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">1 - LOTS of hams have southern accents.  Most of the southern accented ones don't really know much, they just talk a lot.

11 - The forums were a mixed bag.  A forum on HiFi SSB contained no demos.  But a drake repair forum was killer.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    With regard to point 1: QSL on the 4-landers, old man!

With regard to point 11: The Hi-Fi-SSB crowd that's on the air haven't demonstrated much, despite their lengthy hours of applied hogwash 202, so how could you expect a hamfest forum to do any better?

[​IMG]

Glad you had a good time! Hope to see ya there, next spring (couldn't make it down this year)!

8. KE4PJW

This year I was really disappointed. The turnout in the boneyard was less than in the past 5 years. Maybe because it was so cold! [​IMG] Who knows?

I walked down every isle looking for a DB-408 or better, no luck. There was a guy there with a butt load of UHF duplexers though. I wished I had picked some of them up, but I was on the hunt for the 408.

We didn't get the normal amount of computer kids coming by the booth digging in my $1 box. As a matter of fact, there were very few computer geeks there at all.

I did get a few good buys... A new TH-F6a and an AR-447 for the YL. I also got a RIB and cable for my GP300

While walking in the hotel parking lot my group stopped to checkout K6LAW's (I think) rover setup. Right about that time, Mr. Hollingsworth was passing by, he stopped to check it out also. I think the qoute was "I bet it opens up every garage door in a 10 mile Radius." We all got a laugh out of it. He seems like a nice guy.

All in all, it was a good time. See ya'll next year!

-- Terry

9. KE4PJW

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MattBeers @ May 19 2002,21:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

1 - LOTS of hams have southern accents. The thicker the accent, the more likely they are ex-CB, based on the stuff they're trying to sell (monoband amplifier with 4CX10,000 tube - wonder what band?). Most of the southern accented ones don't really know much, they just talk a lot. Jim Haynie is an exception.

That's what we said about the Yankees [​IMG]

2 - Some hams just like to sit in the sun, based on how much they want for their stuff ($1400 for an FT-102?)

Everything is for sale [​IMG] Heck, for the right price I would have sold the Jeep,U-Haul,Tent, Everything [​IMG]

3 - It don't matter what the price is that's stuck on something, you can get it down

If it heavy, it's real cheap on Sunday.

4 - If they haven't put a price sticker on it, you don't want to know. Just walk past that table.

Ditto that.

5 - Bring your own food. My fault on this one, shoulda figured you'd pay $3.50 for a hot dog guaranteed to tear your stomach apart - it's an ice arena, after all!

You didn't try one of the infamous "Dayton Brats"??

6 - This is THE place to buy little stuff. I got NiCads, capacitors and resistors I was looking for, a couple of books and cables. Why little stuff? No shipping.

Ditto that too! I got a nice desoldering iron.

7 - The ARRL booth doesn't look any less imposing than IcomWoodSu. Sure looks commercial to me. You'd a think that they'd just have helpful folks there, answering questions, but they were more pushing product than anything else.

Yea, I hate the fact they look professional too. [​IMG]

8 - Where are the booth babes?

No kidding!

Come by next year and say Hi! We get the same spaces every year 3559-3561. (Those numbers need to be painted again)

10. Guest

Guest Guest

[​IMG]

I went to dayton, and with the exception of staying at a brothel (err hotel) I enjoyed it. This being my fourth year at dayton I am amazed to see the hams that come.

Some of you probably heard me in my attempt to help the volunteer strapped Talk-in team ("this is kd4ygc with the dayton hamvention talk-in anyone needing assistance or directions please call in now") I do have to say it was an experience I tried my best to help you all out but to no avail. I promise next year I will know Dayton as well as the residents do.

I was also the fool that worked the main Information booth (Guest services) selling the programs. One note for those who want to complain about paying $5 for a program. WE HAD NO CHOICE, I know there is no excuse but in yrs past people were taking a handfull of programs and by the end of business friday we would have to order more. the same would happen on saturday so it was a matter of economics it is expensive to print the programs even moreso when you have to have the printer rush an order.

I also was the one to give alot of folks their Tests during the saturday and sunday VE sessions. CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL WHO PASSED!!!

I do have one thing to say about our hams and the rudeness of some. there was a ham on talk-in on sunday morning who commented and I quote "I thought we werent allowing towel heads here since 9-11." Now come on folks! that statement is absolutely uncalled for. Ham radio is a nondiscriminatory so why make comments like that!
    I will be back next year !!!

heres a slice of hamvention :)
    [​IMG]

11. KC8RVB

KC8RVB QRZ Member QRZ Page

I attended all 3 days and had a ball. It was my second year going to the Dayton Hamfest, first year as an actual ham. In the future I would love to see a QRZ booth, I think it's a great idea.

Deb
    KC8RVB

12. W8QWL/SK2023

W8QWL/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

I find it very refreshing to read all of the comments made on these posts, however after 26 years of attending the Dayton Hamvention, I found this year to be very disappointing. The crowd was WAY down, I estimate between 17 an 18 K in attendance. i serously doubt this show will ever return to  what it was in the mid 90's.
    The hamfest committes did not seem to have control of the overhead doors, the traffic or the crowd.
    After 26 years of selling at the Dayton Hamfest this may be my last year. They can't compare with the SOUTHERN shows, where even if you are a Yankee you are treated like a person.

dennis

13. K0NEB

K0NEB Ham Member QRZ Page

As the "Cat In The Hat" guy (and Kit Building Forum Moderator and keynoter), this was my 23rd trip. I think attendance was down, too, but maybe to 23K. I had a great turnout to my forum on Friday..got lots interested in building kits like Elecraft, etc. By the way, the reason for that hat was that many of my friends complained years ago that they couldn't find me in the crowd..now they all do! And when I and N8VES (the helmet tower with the lights and beam&#33[​IMG] cross paths, it is a blinding mess of photo flashes as everyone wants a shot of us together! I only wear mine at Dayton..nowhere else. The thoughts on the Flea Market..it was just plain cold..but many are right.. I think eBay has made a big dent in sales of radios in flea markets...but parts and other items are still the best bargains anyways. It was the coldest on record, even for the ones in April, so next year has GOT to be better! Great bargians.. FT-817 for $499...wow... See you all next year for my 24th trip!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.