ad: AbAuRe-1

Curious about MARS

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Oct 8, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

Know-code, KF6UEB writes: "I'm intrigued by MARS. I hear them just below 2m. Who licenses these people? Where does one obtain equipment to transmit on MARS bands? And just what does MARS do these days (i.e., what is its mission/purpose?)"

Thanks in advance,

Rick

2. KD7ZNF

KD7ZNF Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a group called the Broadway Consumers here in the Phoenix area that I monitor around 142.800 MHz. They are a training communications net authorised by the Arizona National Guard. They even have a website.

3. KA5S

KA5S Ham Member QRZ Page

Rick,

Check out NETCOM/9th ASC | U.S. Army Military Affiliate Radio System

Excerpt:
    MARS is a Department of Defense sponsored program, established as a separately managed and operated program by the Army, Navy, and Air Force. The program consists of licensed amateur radio operators who are interested in military communications on a local, national, and international basis as an adjunct to normal communications.

MARS stations and MARS operators are licensed by the  Service MARS programs; technical and operating standards are as provided by military regulations and publications.

Check out the links on the site above. MARS' mission is as described there:

To provide Department of Defense sponsored emergency communications on a local, national, and international basis as an adjunct to normal communications.

To provide auxiliary communications for military, civil, and/or disaster officials during periods of emergency.

To assist in effecting normal communications under emergency conditions.

And remember that Google™ is your friend!

Cortland
    KA5S

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.