ad: Halibut-1

Ciro Mazzoni Stealth Loop Review

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by WD9DD, Dec 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WD9DD

WD9DD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Everyone,

I posted my review of the Ciro Mazzoni Stealth Loop. Overall, I am very pleased with its ease of use and performance. I am in a very restricted HOA, and this loop is less visible than other designs, and it tunes automatically.

Russ WD9DD

2. K4PP

K4PP Ham Member QRZ Page

Russ,
    Great video review of your stealth STL. I have used my home built STL /100 watts and also notice as you stated, the compromise of receiving many signals you just can't reach on transmitting. I have accepted this as demonstration of the inefficiency of the antenna at producing a high enough signal under all given conditions between the two. However, this is not to say anything is wrong with the STL antenna, it just highlights the compromise. I have run contest DX with my loop at 10watts and was amazed at the contacts. But I have also experienced the doldrums as well at 100watts.

An S9 received signal across the 50 ohm terminal of our radio is ~50uV (.00005V), S1 is ~0.2uV (.0000002V). The receiver is excellent at presenting this. Unfortunately the only things we can control in ham radio begin at the rig and end at the antenna (or vice versa).

I have no HOA issues but I am always using some contraption for an antenna, never efficient, so I am always grateful the other ham can pull me out.

K4PP

3. KE5QY

KE5QY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Russ, I purchased the Stealth antenna and can't find a way to get it to take more than about 15 watts. I've moved it around from a grassy yard, driveway, set it on my truck's hood and put it on a fiberglass table with and without a reflective service. The ATU always shows a good SWR (<2.1), but the meter on the rig (and an external meter) goes off the scale as soon as the power is above 15 watts). This is on PAK31, SSB, and CW. Any ideas on how to get this antenna to take any power?

4. N4LCD

N4LCD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nick,
    Check the capacitor plates and make sure all of them maintain the proper spacing from each other when open, and when fully closed.
    Paul

5. W1FOX

W1FOX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Russ, I bought a baby loop because of a hostile HOA. I can't seem to make it work properly. When I try to change the frequency I get an error message, "no motor load." Is there a forum that can help me?

N2ZD likes this.
  6. N2ZD

N2ZD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

@W1FOX please email me. I have the midi and baby loop and can help. Ill send you my phone number and get you up and running