ad: cq2k-1

Brain Dead R&D....IT's Icom's Turn Again!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KV4BL, Jul 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K2PAT

K2PAT Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ke4mcl @ July 22 2002,07:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">alpha tags necessary?? so if your handed a radio that is not programmed are you helpless to get more then a few freqs into it??

real world situation here. if youre into public service. your radio may quit and you're handed someone elses that doesnt have alpha tags, now what?? sit there and stare at it because you dont know any of the local machines? glad you guys arent on my SAR team..

anyhow..
    i own a w32a, ic03at, a21, ic28h, micro2at and a dual bander mobile whose model number eludes me right now  and love all of them. they work great everytime, all of the time (yaesu take note, radios that work properly all the time). i could care less about the lack of alpha tags so i may be looking at this new icom mobile if its a great as they say. after the yaesu lack of quality and customer service fiasco, i wont even consider a yeasu product for a LONG time. kenwood packs alot of tech but they seem to lack on physical ruggedness.

motorola radios are nice but carrying a laptop around for a vfo is ridiculous. the motorolas are nice in your home town but when you hit the road, nothing beats a vfo. front end issues??? the htx202 radioshack ht has a front end on it thats better than alot of ham mobiles out there. yes its bigger but so is a saber, astro saber, genesis series, and alot of other commercial radios.

robert
    ke4mcl[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    If you are into public service, don't buy a Yaesu. You usually don't get all the features they advertise, their reliability and service are miserable.

The FT-8000 series was a horrible mistake, for which they take no responsibility. They shipped mostly delaminated PC boards, failed to cool the inside of the radio (driver stages etc.), and put a 40 watt final in a 50 watt radio. Most of them failed just out of warrantee and they want $300 to fix a $500 radio. Those who paid for repairs soon had failures a second time until they learned not to send any more money to Yaesu. There are over 100 postings on the 8000 series crime.

During the WTC cleanup support, I asked if Yaesu service could do a rush repair on mine or send me a loaner for public service and they said no to both requests.

On another public service event I dropped my FT-50 only 3 feet and it died a horrible death. Is this not supposed to have a Mil-850 ruggedness claim?

Yaesu go home!

K2PAT

2. N4JZH

N4JZH Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been after Icom for 2 years to take the 746 and add 432 SSB to it... Like the header says. Icom is Brain Dead!
    de N4JZH

3. VE7NGR

VE7NGR Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (N4JZH @ July 27 2002,10:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have been after Icom for 2 years to take the 746 and add 432 SSB to it... Like the header says. Icom is Brain Dead!
    de N4JZH[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Better yet, make that all mode 70cm, and add a dual receiver for satellite work... I would definitely buy one.

4. n0phw

n0phw QRZ Member QRZ Page

Man, I'm obviously missing an entire world of technological wonders. My TS-700 has only one memory.

5. N0KLT

N0KLT QRZ Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (n0phw @ July 31 2002,20:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Man, I'm obviously missing an entire world of technological wonders. My TS-700 has only one memory.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Your 700 has a memory. I feel cheated, all my 700-SP has is a VFO [​IMG]

Gary - N0KLT

6. N0XAS

N0XAS Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (N0KLT @ July 31 2002,23:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (n0phw @ July 31 2002,20:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Man, I'm obviously missing an entire world of technological wonders. My TS-700 has only one memory.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Gary - N0KLT[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You have a VFO??  

When I was a lad, all we had were CRYSTALS...  and we had ta grind 'em ourselves, we did, after chipping them from the surrounding rock with our bare hands, and we were glad to have them!!

[​IMG]

7. VE7NGR

VE7NGR Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (n0xas @ Aug. 01 2002,12:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (N0KLT @ July 31 2002,23:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (n0phw @ July 31 2002,20:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Man, I'm obviously missing an entire world of technological wonders. My TS-700 has only one memory.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Gary - N0KLT[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You have a VFO??  

When I was a lad, all we had were CRYSTALS...  and we had ta grind 'em ourselves, we did, after chipping them from the surrounding rock with our bare hands, and we were glad to have them!!

[​IMG][/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Crystal? What's that???

[​IMG]

8. W9WHE

W9WHE Ham Member QRZ Page

Two FACTS:

FIRST: If people keep buying these radios, Icom (and others) will keep offering them.

Second: The ONLY way Icom (and other Japenese manufacturers) will get the message is if Hams STOP BUYING radios with poor IFs and No Alpha tagging.

People keep lining up to buy what is essentially the VERY SAME radio, merely repackaged with some new gee-whiz feature, for another $100-200. WAKE UP! Do you really think going fom 50 to 75 watts makes a significant fifference on the other end? Going from 50 to 75 watts is 1.5 Db. That's ONLY 1/4 of One S unit! Same is true of the other whiz-bang features. Start paying for a REAL RECIEVER. Pay for a radio that is not constructed of cheap plastic that will need repar after a year or 2 of use. Pay for a radio with USEFUL features.

Keep buying drive-a-truck through the IF radios without Alpha tagging, and they WILL keep offering them. Hams have only themselves to blame. NOT THE MANUFACTURER, which is merely supplying what the market is buying.

9. WV8CH

WV8CH Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]
    well if Motorola's are too High in cost go Vertex, or there is E-bay!
    I have a Motorola mcx1000 vhf it makes the yaesu rx look like crap. Drive to a mountian that is intermod city yaesu is does not like it the motorola loves it.

[​IMG]

10. NG7O

NG7O Ham Member QRZ Page

I would prefer the Alpha tags too. But, my question is, does the 2720 crossband? I should have bought the 2710 when it came out, must be a great radio, never see any for sale. Take care 73
    WB7HAM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.