ad: MLSons-1

Baofeng Ham Radios - Pros & Cons

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5KV, May 1, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K1WCC

K1WCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice video. I bought a UV-5R about 3 years ago with the hi-capacity battery, which was cheap and runs it for days. Of course, it's not the radio my FT-60 is, and I never use it for public service events, but it's what I'll be taking to Dayton for local comms with my friends. Never had a problem with this radio, and it did pass the free ARRL spectrum test they run at Dayton. So far so good.

W5KV likes this.
  2. KK4IB

KK4IB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

One of my favorite features is the voice announcement when I change channels. I program the channel frequency to match the channel number: ch 52 is 146.52 MHz. While driving, when I turn the dial, the radio announces the channel number ... keeping my eyes on the road. Neither of my ICOMs or Yaesus do that.

KE6DON, W5KV and K1FBI like this.
  3. KK4IB

KK4IB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

ARRL lab tested my UVD1P at Orlando, the transmitter was VERY clean, they found no spurs anywhere!

W5KV likes this.
  4. KE0DNZ

KE0DNZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Is the UV-5R a good radio? I'd say yes. Is it a GREAT radio? Probably not.

Like a lot of you have said, it's good as a 'starter radio'; not a lot of bells and whistles, just basic functionality. When you're starting out, that's all you really need.

I got my UV-5R+ when I got my Tech a couple years ago (Extra now); it's been a good radio for me. I can hit all my local repeaters, etc., so I've been satisfied.

Would I want it to be my ONLY radio in an emergency situation (I'm in my local ARES group)? Probably not. Would I want it as a backup, though? ABSOLUTELY!!!

I HIGHLY recommend getting a better antenna - I chose the Nagoya NA-771 - and it wouldn't hurt to make your own tiger tail (counterpoise), either! It's cheap and easy to make (2 wires, 19.5" and 6.5", a ring connector, plus electrical tape or HST), and it makes a MUCH more effective dipole!

Rather than the UV-5R, though, I'd suggest the UV-5X3, which is basically the UV-5R with the 220 MHz band added. From what I've heard, the build quality is better (the Chinese are continually improving their quality), and most of the problems that the UV-5R's have had have been addressed.

Bottom line: It's a good, basic radio, if you're not looking for all the bells and whistles.

W5KV likes this.
  5. KE6DON

KE6DON Ham Member QRZ Page

FWIW, when I first got my ticket, I went with a VX 6 as my first radio.
    Then got a Kenwood V71 mobile.
    Due to a medical condition with my XYL, we spent about a year in Utah and all the radios were in Cali.
    Saw an ad for the Wouxun UV3 D and ordered one. Then saw a Baofeng
    and figured " What could it hurt?" So ordered one of those as well.
    Honestly, for me, there isn't any difference between the radios.
    They all get out and that is what is important in my opinion.

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

If you buy one, Please turn off Roger Beep, Or you will not last very long using repeaters.