ad: portazero-1

Anchorage ARC VEC Ramps Up Remote Testing to Meet COVID-19 Challenges

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N0RC, Mar 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

More testing means more hams. We have to stop testing NOW!
    /sarcasm

2. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

FYI, They are not only in AK, but any where in the U.S.A.
    Effective 8/21/2018, the Anchorage ARC VEC provides testing services for applicants living in anywhere in the United States

W3UF likes this.
  3. W3UF

W3UF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Update!
    I've been accepted as a VE with the AARC VEC and have an exam scheduled for Late April. They have a lot of rules - some for the exam and others for protection from Covid-19. These guys really have their act together!!! I plan do continue doing this from now on.
    de W3UF
    Whiskey 3 Uncle Frank

K9KXW, KY1K and K0UO like this.
  4. KL5T

KL5T Ham Member QRZ Page

5. KL5T

KL5T Ham Member QRZ Page

To clear the air, the Anchorage ARC VEC has been contacted directly by the FCC regarding our current remote testing effort. They stated that they where very happy with our program, are glad we are doing it, and wish us to continue. They had us tighten our criteria for being a proctor slightly, and we did that (although it had no impact on previous exams, and was easy to implement).

We are doing our very best to accommodate candidates. If you talk to any of the proctors, they know we aren't kidding about vetting them. Further, if you talk to any of the examinees, proctors, or even our VEs you'd find that they are amazed at how well the process works and are so thankful we are here offering this service.

Cheers

AI6IN, K9KXW and W3UF like this.
  6. KB3LKM

KB3LKM Ham Member QRZ Page

It's innovative! That's what Ham Radio is about, I remember my first test at Southern PA the VE's chatted loudly all the way through my test six feet away from me. Yes I passed but it was the first exam I'd ever been in for anything that included old timers yaking it up! I never joined that club or went back there. It does depend on the group and many people takes this seriously, so far our local VE session has cancelled twice due to CV-19 and a few of the locals are considering signing up for the Alaskan test one guy I know of just got his GMRS license while he's waiting on his ham test and is really loving chatting to people across America on linked repeaters on GMRS he's lining up his Alaskan Test as we speak.

7. KK6YXC

KK6YXC Ham Member QRZ Page

If you can get a bachelor degree online, you should be able to get a ham license. Most people just study the answers and take the test, it's after you get your license and join a club and get on the air do you actually learn how to be a ham. Just my two cents, take it as you wish, or don't.

AI6IN, K9KXW, AB9LM and 1 other person like this.
  8. N1CCK

N1CCK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just to follow up on this, fully remote testing has been piloted, and finishing touches are being put onto the applications. It is coming with the bless of at least 3 major VECs.

9. K9KXW

K9KXW Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations Uncle Frank!

W3UF likes this.