Anatomy of an Internet Scam at QRZ

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Aug 18, 2014.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KE5KDT

KE5KDT Ham Member QRZ Page

There was a time on QRZ, and maybe I just have missed it lately, when you could put in a town in the database search and get info on every ham that lived there including their address. If hams were willing, a list of folks that would agree to check on items for sale in their area could actually verify that a supposed ham selling something on QRZ actually had the item for sale and was legit. Nothing like knowing someone is going to knock on your door to check.
    I had the experience of buying an imaginary TS-2000, along with lots of other folks. The guy was real novice ham but was a doper and had no radio. His parents caught wind of it and refunded everyone's money. That normally would not happen.
    Great article and lessons for us all. Thanks. Bob

2. W4AMV

W4AMV Ham Member QRZ Page

An amazing read!

This is an amazing read! Thanks!

3. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

But did you sleep at a Holiday Inn last night?

4. N2EIK

N2EIK Ham Member QRZ Page

Good catch and also I... DHL only ships overseas not domestic shipments and big red flag: wife not same address as husbands.
    The biggest laugh I got was the passport signature.
    Damn, messing with the poor cancel patient...

5. N8JMR

N8JMR Ham Member QRZ Page

You should definitely contact the bank and inform them of the scam. They can then look into the account for other unusual activity. I worked in the fraud industry for 10 years, the banks really do appreciate getting this kind of information.

6. K6BSO

K6BSO Ham Member QRZ Page

So, Fred, how are you enjoying the 9000D? ;)

7. KV3D

KV3D Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that one of the funniest parts is the "signature" on the passport. He tried, but I don't know anyone who uses MS Paint to sign documents.

8. WA3UTC

WA3UTC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well played Fred..... Bravo! This fellow tried the same thing with me when I was selling a Flex 5000A a bit earlier last year, same names involved.... I caught on quickly to his fraudulent request. A little more scholin and he culd spl bet ter. Good work and I hope others learn from your experience.

Charlie.... WA3UTC

9. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A guy tried to sell me a $70,000 RV for $7000, I did what you did in stringing him along although not nearly as well

10. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

I would do it for free.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo