ad: TinyPaddle-1

Anatomy of an Internet Scam at QRZ

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Aug 18, 2014.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That's the ticket remove that last brain cell and he won't be a bother to anybody. ;)

KF5DE likes this.
  2. N7KFD

N7KFD Ham Member QRZ Page

So is the FTDX-9000 still for sale? $6200 sounds like a good deal! lol

W1JAC likes this.
  3. KD2GHL

KD2GHL Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for this article , I will do my best to send my friends to the QRZ website , as I have already , but when this is widely read, you will have helped so many more people understand how serious this problem is.

73s,
    Rich
    KD2GHL

4. N9APD

N9APD Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice work, Fred - and thanks for sharing it!

73 Alan N9APD

5. KO3Q

KO3Q Ham Member QRZ Page

These scams are moving on shore now too. On another site, I had a guy post from a US location and even provided a US phone number.

When I spoke to him, his off shore accent did not match the profile of the ham from Iowa who I later located and warned.

I asked him a very simple question that any ham would know and he failed it. You have to do this on the phone or they will google it.

6. N6FOG

N6FOG Ham Member QRZ Page

This is the reverse of the scam that sellers were getting hit with a while ago, where they would list a piece of equipment, the scammer would send a cashier's check for an amount far and above the amount of the purchase, and the scammer would tell the seller to send the remainder of the money to some odd address. The cashier's checks would obviously be fake, so the seller would be out the equipment and the cash.

My personal selling policy is PayPal, Cash on Delivery, or your check is held for 21 days or until it clears the bank, and only then does the merchandise ship.

7. WB0MMZ/SK2022

WB0MMZ/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you Fred,
    Ham radio is supposed to be fun, but guys like this are taking the fun out of it. l had a microphone for sale and a guy bought it using the name and call of a ham that l actually know! l, like you played along. Long story short, l was "overpaid". l was sent a cashiers check for $1400.56 for a $40 mic. l was supposed to cash it and send the balance to him as his "secretary" wrote it for the wrong amount. lt is now proudly displayed in my ham shack.
    Thanks again for all you do Fred.
    Joe
    WB0MMZ

8. W4FJT

W4FJT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Let me join in and add my thanks. I have been lucky to have purchased from great fellow operators on this site.

Another reminder that as "hams," for the most part we are a self policing group.

73, Jim W4FJT

9. K6EHO

K6EHO Ham Member QRZ Page

Dear Fred, Top Notch Job! That's the way to follow through. Thank You for sharing all of the details from this scam. Now those of use who have never purchased used equipment have a better idea of what to look out for. Please keep us up to date with the Law Enforcement effort to catch this person or persons. Much Respect, John.

10. VP9KS

VP9KS Ham Member QRZ Page

Are we sure the perp was male? There are some pretty shady women out there too!!

11. KE5KDT

KE5KDT Ham Member QRZ Page

There was a time on QRZ, and maybe I just have missed it lately, when you could put in a town in the database search and get info on every ham that lived there including their address. If hams were willing, a list of folks that would agree to check on items for sale in their area could actually verify that a supposed ham selling something on QRZ actually had the item for sale and was legit. Nothing like knowing someone is going to knock on your door to check.
    I had the experience of buying an imaginary TS-2000, along with lots of other folks. The guy was real novice ham but was a doper and had no radio. His parents caught wind of it and refunded everyone's money. That normally would not happen.
    Great article and lessons for us all. Thanks. Bob

12. W4AMV

W4AMV Ham Member QRZ Page

An amazing read!

This is an amazing read! Thanks!

13. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

But did you sleep at a Holiday Inn last night?

14. N2EK

N2EK Ham Member QRZ Page

Good catch and also I... DHL only ships overseas not domestic shipments and big red flag: wife not same address as husbands.
    The biggest laugh I got was the passport signature.
    Damn, messing with the poor cancel patient...

15. N8JMR

N8JMR Ham Member QRZ Page

You should definitely contact the bank and inform them of the scam. They can then look into the account for other unusual activity. I worked in the fraud industry for 10 years, the banks really do appreciate getting this kind of information.